Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

I have a 1984 Trans Am that I pulled the original 305 out of several years back. Soon after that though, I enlisted in the Marine Corps and my TA was suddenly put on the back burner. I finally have the time and finances to continue my project and am looking at building a 383 stroker to put into my car. I am a decent mechanic,

(I was a diesel mechanic in the USMC), but by no means a master mechanic or engine builder. However, being the stubborn fool that I am, I would really like to tackle building this one myself. I will need a fair amount of guidance for the build. This is the first car I ever bought, 15 years ago, and it my baby, so whatever you guys can help me with will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Martin

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,404 Posts
Welcome to Firebird Nation !

What HP level and RPM limit are you looking for? Strictly normally aspirated, or with a power adder (forced induction or nitrous)? Do you have access to a shop that can do the machine work on the block? Do you have a budget in mind?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
I have a goal of 600hp in mind. So I plan on all of my interior components being forged steel. I love the idea of twin turbo, but I would need a lot of guidance with any forced induction system.To be honest, I don't know what kind of Rpm I should be aiming for, so all opinionset are welcomed. I would also like to stay around the $6k area, but could find more if really needed.
I plan to find a good junked 350 csb engine and have a machine shop check it out right away, but I don't know if I need to be looking for a specific block, or if any 350 will do? Thanks for response, and I appreciate any advice you all could give me!
Martin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome!! :driver:

Cool man. In my humble opinion, everything you're saying sounds do-able. I recently sold my Mopar (10K engine build... Canadian funds) so I have limited knowledge. However! 6K budget plus room to ad if needed, that's a great outlook to have. As far as 350's go.... 4 bolt mains are often preferred over 2 bolt mains. Turbos are hugely popular, but again I have 0 knowledge. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can anyone tell me if a 350 880 roller cam block is a good fit for my 383 build? I'm looking at sweet deal on Craigslist now, but am not entirely certain it is the best option for me. I know it's a newer model block and didn't know if that would cause problems putting that into my 84'?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If you are putting a 400 crank in your 350 to get a 383, be sure to use the 400 flywheel and harmonic balancer as the 400 is externally balanced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts