Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm trying to put bolt on competition engineering subframe connectors on my car (they came with the car). I got the passenger side supported on jack stands and thefront subframe bolt loose. The front mount for the leaf spring hanger bolts are loose as well . The rear mount for the subframe connector is supposed to mount through these same holes. I thought that once the bolts for the spring perch were out i would be able to slide the connector in but i can't get the hanger to drop away from the body. I thought about disconnecting the sway bar to see if that is what is holding it up. The rear tires are off the ground so I was under the impression this would give me the slack i need. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I didn't but shouldn't there be enough give in the shocks to let the assembly drop down even just a little bit?

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,039 Posts
There's a couple things that can limit the drop. Shocks, body to axle rubber brake line, park brake cables, very tight stiff rear spring bushings or possibly the drive shaft if you still have it bolted to the pinion yoke. Usually the first thing to stop it from dropping is shocks but maybe someone put a short rear brake line from the body to axle in. Loosen the nut on the bottom of shock and see if the rear drops. Be careful not to have the rear pulling on the rubber brake line.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip. I can tell it's not a break line but they have been replaced before cuz theyre all stainless so I'll give it a second look. I have the rear resting on the jack so I don't think that will be an issue.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you need to drop the front eye bracket it will be easier to take the shocks loose. I modified the bracket for the front eye on my 70 a few weeks ago and left the shocks in place I have custom shocks springs and hangers and I had just enough room to get the bracket out. I replaced the leaf springs and bushing on my 80 all stock ws6 and had to remove the shocks before I could get the front eye brackets out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts