Firebird Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1980 firebird recently and I want to make it look like a trans am with all the decals and body moldings . Any tips on what to do first? Where on Internet to buy a kit?

·
Registered
496 Posts

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Also try craigslist. Expand your search as far out from your home city as your willing to drive.

For the fenders, it's easier to just buy trans am fenders. It's labor intensive to convert a stand fender to a vented trans am. Being in Texas, you should be able to find used sheet metal in good shape.

But most every 2nd gen parts supplier has new reproduction fenders available.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hy and welcome,

always try to use original parts if you can get,

you may haveno probs to reassemble the parts.

For decals you will find on ebay enough vintage repro parts.

But first if you want to start, see thatt the engine, gearbox is dry

and with fillt with fresh oil.

That the electric is workimg correct.

Let us show your step by step working progress.

Regards
Sascha

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Another option for the smaller decals is to make them yourself. You can get decal paper on ebay, amazon, etc. They have it for both inkjet and laser printers. They also make printers that handle bigger sized paper than standard printers. But any decent printers will do the job.

Then you will need a program like photo shop to design the decals. I got my copy at a thrift store for $5.

For decals longer than what standard legal sized paper can handle, you can print them in parts and carefully apply them. I did this for the john deere decals on my old jd 180.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Welcome to FBN ! :welcome500:

Another option you might wanna consider is making it a Formula, instead of a TA. It'll be much cheaper and less labor intensive. And you won't have to deal with the shaker, or worry about keeping all the wheelwell flairs and front spoiler intact.

I've owned both, and would only consider a Formula now, especially if I was actually going to drive it on the street a good bit. Tuning and tinkering with the carb is much easier, without the shaker. Just pop the hood, take off the air cleaner and you're ready to work on it.

I also noticed that you have a V6 engine. Don't think they make a shaker assembly for those. So, unless you plan to switch to a V8, the V6 shaker might be a major engineering feat. I'm just curious. If anybody reading this has done this, please post info and pics about how you did it.

Your Bird will be worth a lot more, if you swap the engine for a Pontiac 400 or bigger engine. For me, I'd shoot for a Formula style body, with a 455 or 400 block stroker engine. But this is just my opinion. Many disagree with me about my old school Pontiac engine ideas. But, I'm old enuff now, so that my opinion on this will not change. :lol:

Hey, it's just some food for thought. :smile22:

·
Registered
899 Posts
The V6 might be worth more to someone on a budget with fuel bills and not having the expense of an unneeded engine swap. Well spotted though, the shaker hood is out without more trouble than worth. The whole idea isn't worth a second message. Just buy a Trans Am, cost less that trying to kid yourself.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Another Idea is to go with a TA Hood, but attach the shaker to the hood. NO, the shaker won't shake. But, you can stick with the V6, or any other engine you want, and not have to worry about riggin up a real shaker assembly. It should be less work and expense. And, it'll be a lot like having a non TA hood, in that you can just pop the hood, remove the air cleaner and tune when needed. Lots of guys have done this.

You'll have the look of a TA, with the convenience of a non TA hood. There are a lot of options. :smile22:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts