Firebird Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so confused. I have a1980 Firebird . I need to replace the left and right tail lights along with fuel door, fuel door hinge and bracket.

Everywhere I look has inner and outer lens. The problem is mine only has two pieces (the back piece that is the reflective housing where bulbs snap in and the part you see when looking at the car. I took the clips off that held the two pieces together and removed the gasket. The part you see when looking at the car is all one piece. I have seen some smoked lens available but they would require red lens or LEDs. I do not think there is a way to hold the red lens or the LEDs on to the back housing.

Can I covert these to something else that still fits the space? 4 bulbs on each side
Outer Left side is GM 5070721
Outer Right Side is GM 5970722
Right Reflective backing is GM5970718 1 K
Left Reflective Backing is GM 5970717 1 K
Table Wood Automotive design Gas Rectangle
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Rectangle Wood
Automotive lighting Rectangle Wood Line Stairs

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The TA and Formula models had the smoked clear covers, Firebird and Esprit were plain red, different lenses. Same with fuel door lens, black or red, with or without bird. I'm not sure what's available for the more base birds, other will reply.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would the smoked lens fit the reflective 4 bulb holding back I have? If so, maybe I can put a red photo gel or film on the back side of the smoked lens cutting out a spot for the backup light to keep it white.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The ones I have look tired. There is a red plastic strip piece missing over the back up light. I found the piece in the trunk so I may be able to glue it back on. It looks like the lenses had silver stripes painted on at one time. Most of those stripes are missing and or faded. I might try to just remove any of the silver that is left and run all red. There are some cracks mainly on the perimeter of the housing .

They are useable, but don't look the best. Cant find any direct replacements. The options I have seen that MIGHT work are over $700. I just can't believe there are no new replacements for a part that I would think would be a pretty common breakable item. For that price, I think I can make these work.

I do need to get fuel door, hinge with silver bird, and the bracket for hinge to tail light

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not even sure if I can find the correct gasket. The stuff I scrapped out looked like plumbers putty.
I have seen the clips online somewhere. I have only a couple on each light but I believe there are spots for 5 or 6

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aus78Formula, I love the pictures! Yesterday I Used some lacquer thinner and a lot of elbow grease and removed most of what was left of the silver lines. I need to spend a little more time cleaning them up. Then need to clean and polish the lens. Not sure if I will keep them all red or put the stripe back on or not. Were they originally gray or chrome stripes?

What kind of material should I use for the gasket? The stuff I took out was pretty sticky and looked like plumbers putty. Could I run a bead of silicone around then sandwhich the two pieces together? This might make it hard to take apart in the future (if I ever needed too)

What kind of glue should I use to put the broken lens stripe over the backup light together? Superglue?

Thanks you for all the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In the picture above, it looks as if the stripes are still there, they are not (except for in the corners where I need to do more work)

You can see the red piece that is missing over the clear backup lens. One Is there, one is missing. I have the piece that is missing to glue in somehow

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the lens all cleaned up and put back together. I thought about the silver Sharpie. But I think I am going to go without. I fixed the fuel door from sagging buy putting two bolts in the hinge instead of the factory pins. Everything fits together pretty good. Now I need to find a fuel door with recess for silver bird.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Hood

1 - 13 of 13 Posts