Firebird Nation banner

79 T/A temp gauge problems

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Injuneer 
#1 ·
I built a 79 Trans Am for a buddy with a LQ4/4L60e combo and it runs perfect. His factory oil pressure/water temp gauge was messed up causing him to not notice low oil pressure on his factory 403. I did the swap and noticed the oil pressure gauge didn’t move as soon as the LQ started. Replaced the gauge and the circuit board with OER replacements. Oil pressure worked for a bit, but I’m guessing I blew the sender up on cold start back in March with too much pressure. Replaced it today and it works perfect again. The temp gauge, I used the adapter and put it in the passenger head. Before I replaced the gauge, it worked, but always read hotter than it actually was, now nothing. If you ground the wire, the gauge pegs just like it’s supposed to, so I know the gauge works. Any ideas where to go from here.

#3 ·
Check to see if you have a good ground from the body of the sensor to the head.

If you have a good ground as described above, check the sensor - Connector off the sensor, measure the resistance from the single pin on the sensor to the block. Compare resistance reading to standard GM chart of resistance vs. temperature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.