Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, This one's been giving me a headache for quite some time. I have an 81 T/A with a motor swap, Not sure if 400 or whatever, But basically, When i use my signal to go left, the left front light wont turn on. But if i use my RIGHT turn signal, The right one turns on, But the left one kinda blinks too (dim but noticeable) It can't be the dimmer switch cause i had replaced the whole thing. Lights work properly, Also, in the center console, The window switches only control the LEFT window. Left switch controls down, Right switch controls up

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I put up with issues like this for years. Bad grounds, rusted light bulb sockets, fuses that would blow the second you put a new one in. I ended up tracing them down and fixing the issues as they would happen. While I hate electrical problems as much as the next guy, and would much rather replace a timing chain, than deal with electrical issues, once you get the idea of how electricity thinks, and buy a decent multi-meter, electrical problems become kind of a fun challenge in a warped kinda way. Electricity will always obey certain principles like taking the path of least resistance, or every electrical component needs a hot and a ground to work (if either path is broken or has a corroded connection you will have issues), and if a hot wire touches ground, heat will happen, blow fuses,and stuff won't work. I fixed many issues by re-splicing wire, cleaning rusted ground connections, and sometimes I just ran a new wire. After awhile, I just got tired of not knowing where or when the next electrical problem would be. Like the dome light would stop working, or would stay on. The battery would go dead if I didn't drive my car for a week or so. I finally bit the bullet and figured a 1971 T/A is an old car and if I want an electrical system with any integrity, I have to replace the old wiring. I got a taillight harness first, then the front lights harness next, followed by the engine harness, and finally the dash harness, and some connector harnesses as well. I have not had to deal with electrical issues for years since I got new wiring. The weird part is that I always enjoyed getting new headers, cam, aluminum heads, etc. and didn't really like giving up hundreds of dollars for new wires, but the feeling of having a good, solid electrical system ended up being a damn nice feeling in the end.

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
In addition to what Joe said, in the 2nd gen tech section, we have wiring diagrams to kind of help you. I say kind of because the diagrams for older GM cars are not easy to use like the 3rd and 4th gen firebird ones are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alrighty, Thanks to everyone who posted! I assumed I would need a new harness, Since there seem to be a lot of loose wires or wires without connections under the hood. I'm determined to get this thing running well for the road, as it will probably be my daily driver. Also, i dunno if this is an electrical problem or just a carburetor problem, But when i turn my car on, during idle, it'll die off completely if i don't have the gas pedal pressed to keep the RPMs up. The timing chain cover IS corroded where the radiator tank hose should be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts