Firebird Nation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked this car up on Friday, it will be a long project but it will be worth it. During the first day I have discovered that this car has the original drive train, Olds 403, TBH350 and posi trac w/2.56 gear. I will try to post pics during the rebuild stage, and hope to be able to pick some people brains for different things.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Welcome to FBN Chad

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Nice keep the pictures coming .

And all I can say about restoring cars is keep it fun

for a while I got carried away and for a little bit It wasn't fun anymore It's a hobby not a job LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Sol, its been a long time coming. So, I know its very early in my build, but can anyone tell me if there is a company that sells entire replacement back seats. I dont have anything in the back and my fronts are toast. I would even go for 3rd gen if i knew the back seats would fit.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts
Look at a couple of our site vendors for your interior parts, NPD and E&A Garages.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the leads on parts. I may have to get a hold of Franks and nab those back seats. Since this build is in the design stage I am still up in the air on what i want from this car. It is the original 403 and TH 350, the car has 63K and I am in the process of doing a title search to see if i can try to verify the mileage. I have also sent away to PHS to get the background on the car. My idea is to build something that looks stock, for the most part, but to update the interior and suspension. I want to have a dependable cruiser and I want to include the original drivetrain, even though its an olds motor.

If any of you guys have done something similar to this, would you let me know some of the issues you ran into. I have also heard from a couple people that there are bucket seats that can replace the rear seat, of course they heard it from a friends, brothers, milkman's son that this works. I think it would add some style to the back. Anywho, its been a long week and its not over, I will try to get some more pics on here so you all can see what i have gotten myself into.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I did some tinkering on the car today, it amazes me the things you can find. When I bought the car I did hear it run and i did drive it around the guys subdivision, it had a bit of a rattle. Since buying it I have not had much time to do anything, until today. A friend of mine came over to try and isolate this rattle/knock pulled off the left valve cover and to our surprise there were to rocker arms being held on by about 3 threads. I guess its hard for a V8 to run on 7 cylinders. We swapped push rods, to be safe checked the threads in the head, they were good as well. It is amazing at much better this car runs now. Still need to rebuild the carb and check drain the tanks and clean it out. Also needed to swap the drivers side caliper since it was froze up tight, threw new pads on and a GOOD brake bleed...BIG improvement. Next weekend a few more things will be done, this time I will throw some pics up. Hopefully at least one burnout pic before she gets parked for a year.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Thanks Sol, its been a long time coming. So, I know its very early in my build, but can anyone tell me if there is a company that sells entire replacement back seats. I dont have anything in the back and my fronts are toast. I would even go for 3rd gen if i knew the back seats would fit.
3rd gen rear seats will not fit without modification, the back rest is narrower than the 2nd gen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info. I think I will end up going with stock rear seats and have them reupholstered to match whatever aftermarket fronts seats I pick. Good thing is I have a long time to shop around.

On the other hand I rebuilt the Edelbrock today, I cant believe the amount of crap in it. Tank has been cleaned as well, fuel lines blown out and the rebuild, starts like a champ now. I will have to fine tune the fuel/air and idle but its running good.

Also got my shaker base today, it is on the car but will need a little fab work. but it fits and I have been grinning all day. I love this car!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I attempted to pull my axles to swap bearings, this went from easy to oh crap in about 20 seconds. as you can see the bolt for the pinion in broke, this ended up being over an hour of messing with to get it out. Thankfully my buddy came back with this 3m stuff, it is so sticky t was able to grab hold and spin it out. Talk about a sigh f relief! The bearing swap was pretty easy, on axle shaft as you can see is toast, for now i put in Timken bearings that move the contact surface to fresh steel. this is only temporary, eventually there will be new shafts and gears installed.

I thought long and hard about how i wanted this build to go, I have decided even though the car is all original, i am going with a resto-mod build. I plan to rebuild the 403, nothing crazy but looking to pull 350-375 hp at the flywheel. Interior will be modernized, and the suspension will be upgraded. Of course all of this will come to a screeching halt in August but that may be a good thing, take a year off to prioritize things.I do plan on gutting the car before I leave though, gives me a nice fresh start wen i get back. I will still post pics until i head out.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
So its been a really long time since I've posted any pics of progress. Lots of things have happened to keep the progress slow, retirement, moving among every other thing life can throw at you. So a quick recap, car went to KnightRides in Leesburg SC for, initially floor pan replacement. well then it went to having all the body work done, doors fixed, quarter panel patch panels installed, trunk and dash repaired. I know have a rust free, all solid steel platform to work with. Some pictures that i have to dig up is the floors, they were patched with fiberglass and that's what the seats were bolted to. CRAZY!!! Many times I thought about throwing in the towel, but for whatever insane reason i stuck with it and it took a year to be done, but the steels good. Car sat for awhile and now its up in Indiana, time to start again, just finished installing UMI stage 2 suspension, there s

tuff is awesome and for the most part painless to install. So now shes sitting on all 4's again and the next step will be brakes...I think. If some of you guys are close to throwing in the towel, step back take a look at what you have and what you can do. If its out of your wheelhouse, start looking for pro's. I know it cost more but if you're building a car, you need to ensure its right. Well hopefully i will be able to post some pics as i go. Good luck and keep these bad ass birds on the road!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts