Firebird Nation banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thank you very much for these nice words!!

Yeah I am so happy about the Shaker. Room for an Air-Cleaner is non-existent almost and it was one of my biggest concern. I am glad you like it too.

Saw a few Shaker-Scoops fixed to the Hood because of other Intake or something like this and this was the easiest way to do. This is not an Option at all in my Opinion.

@ ZumpTA

Believe me it was not an easy Decision to change the whole Look of that car this dramatically. It was a nice Blue, the Car has a nice Story to tell and the Look had something nice.

But the paint was aged, I had to re-due the Flip-Front Construction where painting is necessary anyway, the Seats where worn-out and the Material did peeling-off. Beside I had to work on the complete Electric.
With that lot of things I had to re-due anyway, I decided to Change to look too.

One thing may what is interesting for you… here in Switzerland Firebird's and Trans Am are not that Rare at this moment like other U.S. Cars. You can see few of them if there is a U.S. Car Meeting or something like this. But interestingly most of them have a special Paint. Yellow, Blue, Airbrushes and so on. Not a lot where imported in Black Color with golden Decals. Back in the days, I think it was too much for Swiss Peoples. Later in the 90ies, U.S. Cars was unbelievable cheap on the Swiss Car-Market, lot of them where painted new in this Time in Shrill Colors to make them attractive on the Market. Today a nice Black Trans Am in Switzerland is Rare, Bandit Look Trans Am even more rarely. A slightly modified Bandit Look Trans Am, what I will go for, is nonexistent here in Switzerland. That pushed me to do something like this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Finally, I found some time to replace the Suspension on my Trans Am.

First I need to say it was a hard to decide between the 2” or 3” lowering leaf springs in the rear. The Springs itself and Shipping to Switzerland is very pricy, so it had to be the right one on the first try. My goal was getting a nice stance, but needs to be fully drivable on the road. I didn’t found pictures from Firebirds lowered with DSE Leaf springs. Even in this forum nobody would be able to give me a recommendation. Detroit Speed recommends the 2” springs on second Gen Firebird’s because the 3” could be too low. That made the Decision even harder.
Nevertheless, I ordered the 3” Leaf Springs.
In the Front I took some Hotchkis 2” Lowering Springs, HSS-1909F recommended for Big Block Cars.

Now I installed everything together with Hotchkis Street Performance Shocks All Around.

I can say now I am very happy with the 3” lowering Leaf Springs from Detroit Speed. I think I had the original Leaf Springs in my car. The Springs were chrome plated from a Pre-Owner, but I am pretty sure they were the Original and not Aftermarket Springs.
Compared to them, the car dropped a half of an Inch. And this is perfect. I am sure the 2” would not have lowered the Car on the Rear. In the Front I had to cut a quarter of a Coil from the Hotchkis Spring to get a good stance.

At final, I installed a 1” Anti-Sway-Bar from Summit Racing. Fits very nice, but need to replace the Differential Cover because the Anti-Sway-Bar hits the Cover when the car is lifted.

So now my Conclusion about the new Suspension. I had a lot of cracking noise on the Suspension before. The rear axle was very hard, the front was ok but overall, not balanced at all.
The Car rides completely different now with the new Suspension. These noises have disappeared, everything is nice and smooth. The Suspension is balanced all Around. Front and rear do not feel different, and that’s nice for Leaf Springs. The Suspension is much softer than expected. Nevertheless, there is as good as no body roll in Corners.

Almost happy…. Almost because the Exhaust hits the Street a lot now, because of the Body Drop and the softer Suspension. Now I need to work and that one again and hope I can gain an inch of ground clearance.

Now few pictures for you. What do you think?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Some new Pictures of my T/A today.

The Car has been polished now. The Window Surrounding got wrapped Black also.

Under the Hood, the Engine got new Paint, and Valve Covers are in Place now.

Had the idea to safe money for a TKX Transmission next. However, I think first of I will try to get some Original Fenders. The Car feels “flappy” on the Road, I am sure the Flip-Front Construction is the Reason for that.

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Grille

Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Hood

Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold

21 - 23 of 23 Posts