Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i just bought a 78 firebird formula. i have plans to restor it. im not looking for 100% spotless car show quality. im just looking for a very good looking driver. This is my first restoration so i am open to ever ones ideas and opinions . it runs and drives (carb has to be tuned) needs all new bushings, weather strips, will need floors soon, and a bunch of small stuff like any other car.

i am an autobody tech so i am capable of doing it all but i just dont know where should i start with this car?

like i said give me any and every idea and suggestion

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'd start with finding and fixing all the rust. Pull the windshield and back glass trim to look for rust. You may have to pull the glass to fix rust. Body bushings first, then door hinge bushings and door gaps, fender/hood alignment. If you are going to paint it, I'd probably pull the fenders and doors. Bad door gaps and fender gaps can destroy the appearance of these cars. Once you replace the door hinges, make the back of the door gaps and bottom gaps perfect, then align the fenders to the doors, keeping in mind the hood gaps.

That's plenty to start with :)

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
If it were me I would make the car safe to drive. Make sure the brakes are good, like you said bushings, and get it running good. Once on the road you can evaluate exactly what you want to do with the car. From there you can formulate a plan.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would recommend doing things one step at a time. It is too easy to take the whole car apart and then lose interest and the fun aspect you started out with if you don't get to drive it every now and then to put the smile on your face. :) I would personally sort out the mechanical side before working on the aesthetics. This may inspire a specific direction you want to go visually (stock or more custom, etc.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Go with the runing and drivability issues first. Needs to be safe and trustworthy to drive. Fluids, belts hoses, brakes steering, fuel system, tune up, suspension, etc. the fun part is the driving, you will have plenty of time to get her looking good.

·
BillyMagg
307 Posts
I'd start with finding and fixing all the rust. Pull the windshield and back glass trim to look for rust. You may have to pull the glass to fix rust. Body bushings first, then door hinge bushings and door gaps, fender/hood alignment. If you are going to paint it, I'd probably pull the fenders and doors. Bad door gaps and fender gaps can destroy the appearance of these cars. Once you replace the door hinges, make the back of the door gaps and bottom gaps perfect, then align the fenders to the doors, keeping in mind the hood gaps.

I would definitely get rid of the rust, as others have stated, I would plan a tiered approach, taking care of the simple to get to items that will allow you to continue to drive the car before getting into an overwhelming tiresome mess, if you are an autobody tech, those are the things that drive most of us nuts, take a methodical approach, driving it once in a while will definitely keep your interest healthy.

I would start by lubing those bushing bolts with a good aerosol rust desolving bath until they are as clean as you can get them before attempting to loosen them, you'll understand why once you attempt to break them loose, but hopefully if you are persistant and patient you can minimize your headaches.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Thats just mean...lol

Ok I would start with

Stopping any and all rust.

Then work body such as floor pans and suspension...

Then I would go drive train (engine and Trans) whatever your dream is...

Go inside and trunk and get seats and dash the way you want everything...

Then rims and paint if you didnt address rims in the suspension phase...

Then I would drive the hell of it!!!

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.