Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1977 Trans Am L78 Auto Buccaneer Red
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought this one owner, 77 with 82k miles on it. Has a laundry list of suspension, chassis and axle upgrades, 69 HO cam, headers, exhaust, etc etc.

Paint is original and pretty good but has a few small dents and repairs needed so will get new paint.

The engine is intact but it needs everything up front and the carb/distributor, etc reinstalled but should make for a great TA once I'm done.

Interior is flawless, zero rust Buccaneer Red. Been over 35 years since I had my 78 and a 76 after that.

So, besides the cam it's stock under the hood. I've ordered some RamAir Restoration headers/manifolds and down pipes then will do a custom but stock looking exhaust.

The 6X8 heads are the weak link at 7.8:1 I'll never make any power so it's getting a pair of Edelbrock Performer 87cc heads that should get it in the 9.2-9.5 range and Performer manifold which will let me keep the shaker without modifying. Plan on keeping the stock/rebuilt QJ but we shall see.

I'm kicking around 1.65 rockers as the HO cam is a .420/.440 spec, which is pretty mild. rockers would put it at the .460/.480 mark.

I need to order a Cold Case radiator with electric fans as that's my defacto setup on my last builds and I like it.

Suspension has composite single rear springs, rear adjustable sway bar, forged axles with Gen 4 discs. Up front it has 650lb springs with C5 brakes and Koni Red adjustables all around. It also has adjustable front upper control arms and Delrin bushings on everything in addition to, PTFB subframe connectors but not installed and an adjustable alum subframe and body mount. So, suspension is pretty well done as are brakes.

It's riding on some 17" Snowflakes that the PO let corrode, I'm going to see if I can save them. Rubber is some older Nitto stickies, more AutoX tires than street so those may go...or stay on the Snowflakes for track wheels/tires. We shall see.

Glass is all good, interior perfect, doors don't even sag and shut easily...that's a first. Trunk is like new, even has the original space saver.

A few half ass pics for now...

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle Vehicle Car Speedometer Motor vehicle Odometer Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Regarding RAR.. spoke with them on the phone. They no longer offer the oval exhaust. So I ordered a set of D port manifolds and the 2.5" full system with 13" Spin Techs.

Purple Pink Red Magenta Bag Bicycle part Gas Auto part Font Metal

My Cold Case radiator/fans should be here in a day or so. ordered up the mounting kit and wiring along with it.
Camera accessory Output device Camera lens Cameras & optics Gadget

I'm holding off on Edelbrock heads and intake right now as there are loooong delays from my warehouses to get them, I want to focus on getting her running and dealing with other drivability issues that I'm sure will spring up once it's rolling so I can then send her off to body shop jail for some fresh Buccaneer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Radiator and fans arrived today. Just waiting on exhaust now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts