Firebird Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1977 SE 400 6.6 Manual with the stock exhaust and manifolds. I am going to change it to true dual exhaust, and Headers. I am looking for info as to what type of headers work the best? Long tube short?? coated?? size?? , I am going to use magnaflow's. I'm in Canada so some of the prices here are very high here for headers. Hopefully someone with the same car will give me their input. Thx....Kanedit.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I like Hedmann Hustler full length headers, but they do hang down pretty low, so only if you really have to have full length. Be sure you get headers for a 4 speed car of the Z-bar will hit, and maybe even hit a little even with manual car headers.

Like any other engine part, it all depends on what your goal is and what other parts you see yourself getting for this engine. If you don't need full length headers, I would not get them.

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
Why not just use RAIII manifolds. They flow good look stock and don't cause clearance issues.

Pypes exhaust will fit nice.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I got long vedsion. The installation is not easy.

Next I will use short headers. They are easier to install.

Regards
Sascha

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 78, 400. With some advice I got here on this website, I went with the ceramic coated Ram Air restoration headers Brown Bird mentioned in his previous post. I am very happy with them. They sound great, will last forever and the best part is, they don't drag the ground when I go over the hump in my driveway. You can call and talk to them. They are very knowledgeable and helpful

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 78, 400. With some advice I got here on this website, I went with the ceramic coated Ram Air restoration headers Brown Bird mentioned in his previous post. I am very happy with them. They sound great, will last forever and the best part is, they don't drag the ground when I go over the hump in my driveway. You can call and talk to them. They are very knowledgeable and helpful
Ok, do you have the true duals as well? did you buy the kit or did you take it to a shop? Thanx.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ok, do you have the true duals as well? did you buy the kit or did you take it to a shop? Thanx.
I went with true dual exhausts, getting rid of the cat converter. I was able to do that because I already had my inspection and got antique tags, so re-inspection will ever be needed. I went with the model correct dual side pipe extensions. It was a tough decision, but I went with glass packs. I decided to go with the period correct sound. I like it a lot. That's a matter of opinion. Some like it, some don't.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I currently have stock manifolds and recently installed a complete pypes kit. The fit and finish is nice, although I may change the mufflers later, just because I want a different sound not quality. I plan to add ram air manifolds later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really like my Pypes System. The single muffler in front of the diff saves a lot of ground clearance and I still get the sound and performance I'm wanting.

Good luck on your project!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts