Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, hoping fir some tips on re hanging & aligning a ‘76 Formula. I got new hinges because I just wanted everything new & sturdy. I removed the door & the old hinges. Here’s my dilemma, I can’t the door to align. I’m using one of this Eastwood type door cradles on a Jack to keep the door up, but it seems like without removing the fender I won’t be able to do this. Am I right? Any tricks to doing this? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
3,390 Posts
I always remove the fender to get a door aligned. Of course you'll have to align the fender when you install it.

Besides up & down movement, the door also has in & out movement at the top & bottom.

I don't know if this will work on a firebird, but on Italian cars, I removed the weatherstripping, kept the hinges loose on both door and bulkhead side. Carefully closed door& wedged cardboard shims to get proper alignment. Then tightened the bolts up on both door and bulkhead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi I ended up removing the fender. I also used a support tool. Well worth it. It sits on a Jack and is padded to hold the door straight until you can align it & tighten the bolts. (You can try tapping the hinge pin out (without removing the fender) & replacing the bushings, but won’t be easy)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi I ended up removing the fender. I also used a support tool. Well worth it. It sits on a Jack and is padded to hold the door straight until you can align it & tighten the bolts. (You can try tapping the hinge pin out (without removing the fender) & replacing the bushings, but won’t be easy)
Thanks for the reply, I worried about having to do the same with my doors. It does look like I can possible get away with just using or replacing the door pins and bushings. Ill look for that support tool you mentioned to hold the door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts