Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed a car for sale that had me wondering. It is a 76 T/A, 455 4 speed. This car was custom ordered. The seller has the build sheet and 9k in receipts. The seller is the third owner and claims this car was factory ordered with a 75 front grill. It was ordered as no power windows, no center console etc. Pretty much your BB and 4spd. He also claims that everything on it seems original and there is no evidence to suggest it had a 76 front end. I have not laid eyes on it myself. I can see where he is coming from as when you look at an old car you can always tell originality, but was that a possible thing to do back then? I know that back in the day you could order a car how you wanted it. I was also discussing this with a friend of mine who worked for chevy back in the day. He was telling me how back in the day, the big thing that came out (55 i believe), was the option for the 283 as before you had a 263 or something of that nature. However, that 263 still wound up in some cars as they were left overs. I know bumpers are different from engines. I also realize that you can make a car however you want it, but with everything so far, why even bother since it is a 455 T/A?

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
I can see where he is coming from as when you look at an old car you can always tell originality,
The car is now 40 years old. You cannot tell what has been changed. Especially the grills.

It is possible the car was titled a 76, but is actually a late built 75. You would need to decode the numbers and have the original build sheet and order sheet. Also look at the date of manufacture to see when the car was built.

But there was no check off option to put a different nose on a 76. you bought a 76, you got the 76 nose and any other changes for that year.

In this case, documentation is the key. You need as much as can be obtained and without it, don't believe a word of what is told you.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Titling left over 75's as a 76 was common back then. That way a dealer could sell the car as that years model and not have to drop the price for being last years car.

It was also common at the time for dealers to sell demonstrator cars, with 5K to 15K miles on the clock, as new cars.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts