Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m currently restoring and moding my 1976 Firebird into a trans am. I have a question as it pertains to the fenders. All of the repro trans am fenders I see for sale online state that they are 77-81 trans am direct fit fenders and would need “minor modification” to fit the 76. I have tried to look this up in multiple places and have looked at as many engine bay pictures as I can and I can not tell the difference in them and/or what the modification for fitment would be. Does anyone here know the answer to this? What exactly is the “minor modification” how would that be accomplished and is it difficult and easy to mess it up? I would like to get an idea on this before I purchase new fenders because the sheet metal on my car is in really good shape. So my last question would be , if it is a difficult modification, and easy to mess up, would I be better off spending that money to have someone cut the air extractors into my existing fenders and weld the mounts inside?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
454 Posts
The difference could have something to do with the fender support bracket. 76's have a wide flat piece that bolts on 2 places on the fender and later's have a round tubular rod that bolts to one place on the fender. Never really compared the setups.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts