Firebird Nation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 1973 T/A a few months ago that's in great shape..."almost"...stock! The car looks to have the original seat covers and carpet and rear speakers. The drivers seat is really bad but the rest of the seats look like they will clean up good? I need to replace the carpet so after I pulled it I left most of the original sound deadening in place but I removed some of it on the driver and passenger side because there is some surface rust I need to deal with but NO HOLES, this car is very solid!

I just spent two years building a 71 Formula Pro Touring car and I dynamated the crap out of that car so my question is...will it hurt the value of this Trans Am if I use dynamat under just the carpeted areas? I want to keep the car as original as possible, it does have the numbers matching 455 but it has Edlebrock aluminum heads, intake and carb, also has a Tremic 5-speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Two things come to mind. The value of the car varies from one potential buyer to the next. I'd say if a buyer is OK with the whole top end of the engine not being stock, as well as the original gear box replaced with a 5 speed, they are not going to care if there is dynamat that you can't see under the carpet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking the same thing, just wondering if you can over restore parts of a car that will probably never be seen again, I know the Dynamat will be a huge improvement. The factory radio is missing but all the plugs are there, in fact it has no radio at all. Do I spend $180 on a retro radio with modern plug ins or $500 on a factory radio? I found a factory rebuilt radio that came out of a 73 T/A on eBay but they want $625...I think the price is laughable considering the modern equipment you could get for that much today but then again it could be the one chance I have to get a radio that came out of the same year and model car. I would prefer the old radio but common sense tells me not to pay $600 on a $50 radio.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I got a Custom Auto Sound replacement. it looks like an AM radio from the old days, but it really controls a CD changer in the trunk and it has a port for a USB flash drive stick. It is not exactly like the original GM Delco unit that came in the car, but it looks like an old school AM radio, so it still keeps the interior basically the way it looked in 1971. Part of the fun I have driving the same car I drove when I was 19 years old is getting that old school feeling. To me it doesn't have to be exactly stock, but just keep the overall experience old school. I would not pay $500 - $600 for a stock AM radio, just to have it be exactly like it was. Some folks are in to that 100% original, right down to gaps in the body panels not being so uniform. Not me, I take my time to make all the details perfect, don't care if it is "over restored",

·
Registered
576 Posts
I also used the custom auto sound radio. Like Joe said it's an old school look yet gives you some me modern features. I like it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I did put a custom auto sound in my 71 Formula, I'll probably go that route in the T/A for now until I find a resonably priced factory radio.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a full Ridetech 4-link, a-arms with coil overs and a MOSER 12 bolt, also a all after market gauges. I did pretty much everything myself in my garage. I just added up my bills and I could have bought a new Vette instead of building this thing! LOL!!

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just added up my bills and I could have bought a new Vette instead of building this thing! LOL!!

First mistake NEVER EVER ADD UP THE RECIPTS!!!

I always tell my boys keep the car and don't let your mom sell it for what I told her I paid for it. LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I could have bought a new C7 Vette, and a 98 Tahoe winter beater......and im still not done
I'm not quite done either and now that I know what I have invested I'm finding it harder to keep spending money on it...well, that's a lie "I love spending money on it"! But I think the UPS guy hates me, he delivers a few times a week! LOL!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts