Firebird Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hope someone can help figure these out. I have been rewiring my firebird to get it back to factory, I am having a couple issues. the connector in photo seems too short to go to a temperature gauge, TCS, or similar. the wires are dark blue, and the other is black it can only reach to about the carb primary linkage also both leads go towards the firewall, one lead is not loose to go to another switch as it appears it would if it was for the TCS and Temp switch according to a wiring diagram. Also, I don't seem to have a wire for an idle solenoid, should i have a solenoid and wire? and lastly , there is a black wire that is going to an hei distributor it appears to be factory as I have cut all the tape coverings off the engine harness, but it is not black and pink like the schematics claim it should be, I can't seem to find a black and pink, it does have silver strand wire when you cut off the insulation, but the wire does not drop voltage as I would suspect if it is a resistance wire. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,403 Posts
There was no factory hei in 71. Also the colors of the wires will have changed in 35 years. So sometimes what you see may not match exactly to the diagram anymore. Best to trace the wires. (If you want the best results for your car, consider replacing the wiring. Especially if previous owners have butchered it. I promise you won't regret the expense. Worth every penny not to have the headaches anymore.)

Look at Tech Articles, 2nd Gen, Master Index for additional diagrams and manuals, and, and, and.....

Let me know what pictures I can take for you. I'll be happy to. I also have quite a few available already, just wade thru them, lol

http://s558.photobucket.com/user/formula71/library/Car-Assorted_Photos/Formula_Reference_Photos

http://s558.photobucket.com/user/formula71/library/Car-Assorted_Photos

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to both of you. I gave up on the car fro awhile but getting back into it. Will look into the info you provided. You guys have beautiful cars. Formula 71 our cars appear to be twins. Could a 71 Formula have a functioning ram air hood?

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,403 Posts
Ram Air was available with the 455 in 71. So the hood was built to be functional.

To make the hood function as a ram air, you need the correct air cleaner and boots to connect between the hood and air cleaner.

·
Registered
174 Posts
As for the wire color on the HEI

It doesn't mean anything. I rewired my car removing the resistor wire from the junction block to the dist. plug using a auto grade 12 gauge wire. I replaced the terminal in the junction block and the terminal in the plug at the dist. Unless you actually knew the original set up you would never know. (it is actually pretty easy to rebuild the whole wiring harness using new terminals and plugs, they are seriously cheap to buy.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
There was no factory hei in 71. Also the colors of the wires will have changed in 35 years. So sometimes what you see may not match exactly to the diagram anymore. Best to trace the wires. (If you want the best results for your car, consider replacing the wiring. Especially if previous owners have butchered it. I promise you won't regret the expense. Worth every penny not to have the headaches anymore.)

Look at Tech Articles, 2nd Gen, Master Index for additional diagrams and manuals, and, and, and.....

Let me know what pictures I can take for you. I'll be happy to. I also have quite a few available already, just wade thru them, lol

http://s558.photobucket.com/user/formula71/library/Car-Assorted_Photos/Formula_Reference_Photos

http://s558.photobucket.com/user/formula71/library/Car-Assorted_Photos
I never knew I could be so jealous... LOL

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ram Air was available with the 455 in 71. So the hood was built to be functional.

To make the hood function as a ram air, you need the correct air cleaner and boots to connect between the hood and air cleaner.
I noticed some things on your car different from mine so I am really starting to get nervous that this car is completely not original. my water valve is by the firewall not by the passenger exhaust manifold. my overflow resevoir is on the fender well in the pocket where your charcoal canister is, my ground to battery is on the power steering bracket, your roof seat belt clips are metal mine are plastic. my car was built March of 1971.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.