Firebird Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys - I am about 25% into the dismantling of the vehicle and it feels as though I am just jumping from one project to another. One weekend I am replacing the front suspension components followed by interior removal the next weekend followed by rear brakes the next weekend - with engine rebuild work all intermixed. I know this might sound stupid, but is there a book that walks you through the best course of action based upon actual previous experiences - which projects should be tackled in a specific order? Probably not, but I thought I would ask.. I just think I would end up being more efficient if I followed a more structured approach to the restoration project..

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Exactly what will be done with the car?Coupe or convert?Will engine come out.Rewire?A little more info could help.I have done a few cars including a 69 T/a and a 69 coupe.Tom

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I'd do all the suspension, brake, fuel system from tank to front, and body work 1st, but stop with primer, so as not to skin the new paint, with the motor install. Then I'd get the engine build going. You can work on the interior, while the machine shop is building the motor. Or, you can just order a crate engine, and do the interior while it's being built, wherever. The crate engine will save a lot of work, and trips to the machine shop. :yes

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you want to drive it ASAP fix/repair what is needed for safety , then other needs, then wants.
if it's a total rebuild with no plans to drive until it's done, write a list and do them as you feel. Don't want to sand that day, do brakes or what you do want to do. Keep it fun!!!

Just a note of caution, don't buy parts you are not going to use quickly. It ties up $ and even if it is on sale, you can prob. Find it later for a similar price. Also you will not know if there are fitment problems or damage until you go to use them.
Good luck and enjoy the process,
Frank T

·
Registered
8 Posts
How much rust in the trunk, drop pans, and Quarters around wheel houses? They all rust out unless they've been in a museum or someone has already replaced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok... Here we go:
Engine is out and front end completely off. It's a coupe. Removed the TH400 & purchased a BW S T10 and had it rebuilt.
Fenders and doors are in good shape with no rust. Both quarters are rusty at wheel wells and will be cut out and patched..floor pan is solid except for center of trunk.
All of the brakes have been completely replaced. Upper and lower control arms, springs, shocks and steering components have been replaced. All new body bushings. Rear shocks and leaf springs replaced.
I am in the process of replacing the fuel and brake lines and master cylinder components now.
I have all new wiring harnesses waiting to be installed.
Disassembly of all of the nose components is turning out to be a real pain - having a hard time getting things apart...
Interior has been completely removed for upholstery work down the road.
As stated the block, heads and rotating assembly parts are done and ready for assembly - wrapped and stored. I have an opportunity to pick up a 69 4 bbl intake and cannot decide if I want to stay stock or go aftermarket. The engine, when complete, will push the cr envelope unfortunately.. I have a little too much cash tied up in the heads to really change course - at least I say that now. The 061 heads would generate about 10.5 @72cc, so I picked up 14cc dished Pistons to get it down closer to 9.5. The original builder recommended 1.5 ratio intake and 1.65 ratio exhaust rockers - purchased and sitting. I have been told that the 1.65 rockers are a mistake, so we will see where we end up there just before assembly begins. Like I said, I am all over the place with one project starting before the 1st is finished.
Plans are to do the trunk pan in the next few weeks and start laying out the cuts in the replacement quarters.
Any thought?

·
Registered
596 Posts
69 front ends are a huge PITA!Take very good pics as you take it apart.Even good body shops have a hard time getting everything right again.Stay with the stock 69 intake and QJ is my sugestion.If you use 1.65 rockers the heads have to be clearanced for them.I have not found much use in mixing them up.Get the right cam and stay with either.Tom

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I second Tom's comments on the front end! They're a real pain, I'm still not satisfied with ours. Ours was not together when we bought it, which made it even more difficult. Now we have another one we're doing, I'm going to be very meticulous with it as it comes apart, hopefully it will help me get both car where I want them.

Sounds to me like you're moving forward just fine. Sounds like you're going in a similar order to what we did. Alot of what we did was influenced literally by the weather. If it was nice out, we painted and did work we wanted to do with the garage open. When it wasn't, we worked on the interior or bead blasted parts. We were also influenced by our body guy's schedule. For us, it was important that the car be a roller as much as possible, so brakes, subframe and suspension were a first priority.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
"...The original builder recommended 1.5 ratio intake and 1.65 ratio exhaust rockers - purchased and sitting. I have been told that the 1.65 rockers are a mistake..."

The only reason I can see to use the 1.65 rockers on the exhausts only, is if you had a single pattern cam. Otherwise, just use the 1.5's and buy the correct dual pattern cam. :smile22:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts