Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started then died, will not get spark. There is no power from fuse box wire to distributor . Wasn’t getting any power on any of the fuses. Car does crank over though

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,975 Posts
Not sure if the 68 power distribution used fusible links, but the 70’s did. Find the wire that supplies battery power direct to the ignition switch. Should have 12 volts at the terminal on the switch. If you don’t have 12 volts, try and find a section of that wire near the battery end of the wire that is marked as a fusible link. Works just like a fuse, but you can’t tell if it’s blown by looking at is (although it may look burned). Have to check continuity across the ends of the link.

If the starter cranks you may have power to the switch. If you did find 12 volts on the wire at the starter end, switch the ignition to “run” and check for 12 volts on the load side of the ignition switch. If no 12 volts, it’s the ignition switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if the 68 power distribution used fusible links, but the 70’s did. Find the wire that supplies battery power direct to the ignition switch. Should have 12 volts at the terminal on the switch. If you don’t have 12 volts, try and find a section of that wire near the battery end of the wire that is marked as a fusible link. Works just like a fuse, but you can’t tell if it’s blown by looking at is (although it may look burned). Have to check continuity
Not sure if the 68 power distribution used fusible links, but the 70’s did. Find the wire that supplies battery power direct to the ignition switch. Should have 12 volts at the terminal on the switch. If you don’t have 12 volts, try and find a section of that wire near the battery end of the wire that is marked as a fusible link. Works just like a fuse, but you can’t tell if it’s blown by looking at is (although it may look burned). Have to check continuity across the ends of the link.

If the starter cranks you may have power to the switch. If you did find 12 volts on the wire at the starter end, switch the ignition to “run” and check for 12 volts on the load side of the ignition switch. If no 12 volts, it’s the ignition switch.
[/QUOTE
across the ends of the link.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will check when I get home from work, what puzzles me the most is I wasn’t getting any voltage on any other fuse at that time, now maybe I didn’t have good ground on meter, but I moved it to other spots. And car would still crank over. I would think ignition terminal on fuse block would have 12v when ignition switch is turned on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts