Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Okay I am a bit new to this. Maybe this is not great idea to steal the thread but I did not feel like opening another thread with possibly the most newbie-ish question on the same subject.

So it finally happened that I bought my 67 Firebird 400 and sure everything is broken plus the car was brutally abused by previos owner. But thats another topic. What I am trying to figure out now is door hinges. Looked up the repair kits and was confused because nothing looked like my lower hinges - I did some googling and found out that some 67 birds came with cast iron lower hinges and those look like mine (pics below):

IMG_3556sm.jpg
IMG_3558sm.jpg

Lower hinges are actually fine, only the detent roller I guess is simply broken off and the spring is missing. The parts I need are these?

mq69.png

Upper hinges are the bad ones, as you can see. Just to be sure - 67 birds with cast iron bottom hinges could have different upper hinges or those are the same across all 1st gens? Same length, diameter for the pins? The standard repair set should work for my upper hinges?

92611629_L_1ce77257.jpg

Thanks,

Neal

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts
I went ahead and split your post into it's own, since that post was from 2010.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Just so you'll know you have this alternative, complete hinge assemblies are available from firebird parts suppliers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I have seen them but I was thinking first I should try fix the hinges because the list of broken stuff on this car is huge and if I am going to just replace whole assemblies of everything whats broken then you know its alot of $$$

I am more like DIY person and if something is fixable I cant just throw it out I have to fix it (I know its mental) and most likely those old hinges will end up in my parts box anyway for "just in case" :lol:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,038 Posts
if you want the cheap way out for the bushings just go get a couple packages of GM bushings in the "help" section at your local parts store. They're only a couple bucks. You can usually reuse the pins.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you want the cheap way out for the bushings just go get a couple packages of GM bushings in the "help" section at your local parts store. They're only a couple bucks. You can usually reuse the pins.
I was thinking to reuse pins. But one of them I see that door hinge is already eating it. And I cant be sure about other until I disassemble it. Problem is that I have not yet found a garage where I could take on this project and have my doors out and then decide which parts to get. I am doing this in my apt complex parking or going to a DIY garage where they charge $25 per hour and I would like to have the parts already in hand so I went ahead and ordered a nice kit from Heartbeatcity on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331537649439
It comes with exactly what I need and extra detent arms which I have but I believe new detent arms will not hurt because old ones might be worn where the stud goes through and that could produce those annoying clicks while opening and closing, not sure about that on birds but I have seen that on other cars. And its made in USA, no more china for me. I have eaten enough of china fixing my other cars.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts