Firebird Nation banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna drop my points distributor back in , need a pic of the coil location and electric wires

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I can't seem to find a pic showing the exact location of a '67 Bird coil. Most guys just moved 'em to the firewall. But, from what I can find, the '67 coil bracket was bolted to the head. Then beginning in '68, the coil bracket was bolted to the throttle cable bracket.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/65-67-Pontiac-GTO-Engine-Ignition-Coil-Bracket-NOS-R-/200637486681

The 2nd pic below shows the later type with a throttle cable bracket. I suppose that unless you are going for the absolute original location, for shows and such, you can mount it however it is most convenient for you.

I'm quite sure you can get pics and detailed decription of EXACTLY how they cam from the factory, over on the firstgenfirebird.org site. :smile22:

http://firstgenfirebird.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=1103

Attachments

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an Msd coil and wires laying around since I did not get the original back with the car, I do see I need a special bracket though, thanks guys hoping when
N I get to this I will have a working hood tach:)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I don't have the linkage bracket, my throttle is mechanical not cable and my car is stick so no kick down cable

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is what I am dealing with, I have mechanical throttle Linkage, so guess mine was mounted to the head or intake bolt originally
Here is what I am dealing with, I have mechanical throttle Linkage, so guess mine was mounted to the head or intake bolt originally

Attachments

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
"...so guess mine was mounted to the head or intake bolt originally..."

Yep, looks like that's your best bet, unless you wanna mount it away from the heat, on the firewall, like most guys do.

Or, another option is to "rig" something, using the throttle bracket bolt holes, in your intake. :smile22:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Tom why don't you just lay it somewhere for the test. If the tach doesn't work you are going to stick with the HEI right. Of course if it does work you would need to rig something up. I had my MSD mounted on the firewall.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Points or hei makes no difference to me

Will the hei work with the ram air hood with the air cleaner shroud installed?

Guess I need to get hopping on this lol

·
Registered
468 Posts
Are you going to have a functioning ram air? If that is the case I don't know if that will fit.

Well I hope you figure it out soon. Because if I am going to have a 4 speed again. I think I will want to have a hood tach again.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have an original steel hood so would be nice to have the working ram air, I also have an original 400 ram air engine to build up.... eventually

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had a ram air 3 engine and a bunch of other hipo pontiac parts that I got rid of years ago. But I never had any of the ram air to hood stuff. I don't think I have even seen a functioning set up on a Bird.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Probly bought it late 80s , sold it like 10 years ago was losing my house, bought back few months ago

1 - 20 of 29 Posts