Firebird Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2001 pontiac firebird 3800 GT w68 sports appearance package
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know what i am doing wrong or missing. I got the crain hooked up and even tied down to a tree behind the crain to keep it from going into my bumper. I got the bolts out of the crank case forgive me if thats the wrong term, (the area of engine and trans meet) both bolts out if the motor mounts and when i lift the motor it doesn't come loose. I've now bent the metal up near the winhshield trying. I will probably have to beat that back down with a hammer later but windshield is ok. But I just cant get the motor out. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! I will add a couple pics also

· Administrator
15,958 Posts
Manual or auto transmission? Did you pull the transmission? Sounds like you took the bolts out of the rear of the engine block that hold the bellhousing to the block. The crankcase is the bottom of the engine, that the oil pan bolts to. No need to unbolt that.

· Administrator
15,958 Posts
Probably get better results if you just answer the previous questions. Plus - did you unbolt the transmission mount? Has the transmission moved forward enough that the driveshaft fell out of the trans tailshaft? (Is that the purpose of the photo?).

Did you make any effort to separate the transmission from the engine other than unbolting the bell housing? Are you sure you got all the bolts out of the bell housing - the bolts at the top are difficult to access?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Manual or auto transmission? Did you pull the transmission? Sounds like you took the bolts out of the rear of the engine block that hold the bellhousing to the block. The crankcase is the bottom of the engine, that the oil pan bolts to. No need to unbolt that.

Hey Injuneer, great to hear from you. I have an automatic transmission. I did finally get the engine out but also pulled the transmission forward and thats the pic i just attached.

No. I did not pull the trans out yet. I took the engine out from the top and was told i could drop it in from the top but i just keep landing on the crossmember. I was told i could just use my hoist to pick up the car. But sorry about earlier, i lost service and wasn't able to finish my response.
So i have the transmission installed still, jacked up and have the engine block bear with the torque converter attached. I just cant get it to line up. I did remove those bolts you mentioned before and would so much rather just build up the entire engine and drop the car onto tbe motor. But not sure exactly how that looks like.

So yes, I replaced the teansmount after breaking it. I pulled the transmission out so that the driveshaft fell out. No serious damage right?

So how would you go about this because I saw there's two different ways to do this engine I can either do it from the top or from the bottom and disconnect the cross member and suspension.

· Administrator
15,958 Posts
I've seen it done both ways. To me dropping it out the bottom is the cleanest. Basically disconnect all wires and plumbing, unbolt the K-member and upper spring/shock mounts, and use your engine hoist or an overhead hoist to raise the nose of the chassis high enough. Roll the K-member, full front suspension engine and even with the trans attached (dolly under the tailshaft) over to an open space. Depends in part on what you are doing with the engine. If you’re doing a full rebuild, either way works.

I've seen photos of people raising the front end with jacks, and cribbing the front chassis support points as the nose of the chassis was raised. You should be able to find articles online or videos on YouTube showing how to do it both ways.

When I had a major performance rebuild done by a shop, we decided to pull from the top. I wanted them to take my car to a local storage facility so it wouldn’t be sitting outside in their lot for (what turned out to be) 8 months. Needed to keep the K-member, suspension and wheels in place to tow it.

What did you need to pull the engine for?

What turned out to be keeping you from getting the engine out, and ending up bending the cowl sheet metal?

And now you are unable to line up the motor mounts with the K-member? Or you can’t get the tranny input shaft lined up with the torque converter?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A gigantic hole in the block. After talking the engine apart my guess is the crankshaft bearing bolts became loose while driving and bounced around in the oil pan

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The crossmember is in the way. I had to twist and bring it out on a 45 degree angle but. But the crossmember is even more in the way because engine sits on it before I can get it in place.

You basically described what i have seen so far on YouTube. I'm not 100 percent but i. Confident in the way you described it. What do you see that is bent?

· Administrator
15,958 Posts
You mentioned that in trying to lift the engine you “bent the metal up near the windshield”. I was just curious what you found to be preventing you from lifting the engine and caused the damage. Sounded like you unbolted the bell housing but didn’t pull the trans back to disengage the input shaft from the converter. That's why my first question was “manual or auto?”.

· Administrator
15,958 Posts
OK…. The other question was “I was just curious what you found that prevented you from lifting the engine and caused the damage?” What was the problem you eventually solved?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I missed a couple bolts on the bell housing. Now im looking for one lol i have no idea what to go buy to replace it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts