Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Trans Am Enthusiast
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My headlight switch in my 95 had cracked plastic and I decided to go to the junk yard and get a nice one, came home put the who assembly in and everything worked (lights go up and down just fine). But I realized the light was not working inside the headlight switch so I decided to take it out again and replaced the bulb that came from the junkyard with the bulb that was originally in my car. These bulbs are the neo wedge t3s to be exact. It didnt work at all. I even turned it over in case the polarity wasnt correct. I also put the old switch back in and that didnt light up either I tried all kinds of different combinations and nothing seems to work. It seems like a very simple system. Two prongs on top touch the little thin pieces of metal on the t3. But I just can't get it to light up.
Has anyone else messed with this before?

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
No, but get your multimeter out set to volts and see if you have voltage at the prongs, when lights turned on. And check the bulb itself. The leads are delicate and can be messed up easily. Or bulb could have burned out.

If headlight switch is not connected to power, you can use resistance setting to check for continuity at bulb prongs. With switch turned on, resistance would be near 0.

You can check bulbs with meter set to resistance. Good bulb will have near 0 resistance.

And dc light bulbs don't care about polarity. Either lead can be voltage or ground. Even bulbs with positive lead on the bottom and case being ground, if you reverse the leads, bulb will still light.

With dc motors, if you reverse the leads, motor will run in the opposite direction.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,080 Posts
Are you sure the interior lamp dimmer control is working? It may be set to minimum brightness or the IP dimmer fuse may be blown.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts