Firebird Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey again, so i was wanting to build a 461 stroker for the last few months. The only problem is that there are very few pontiac blocks near me. I had found a guy who had a bunch, and i mean a metric ton of stuff but he's stopped texting me back (Andy if you're reading this text me) anyway there are a lot of big block chevys so i was toying with the idea of building one of those for my bird *ducks flying chair* should i hold out for the 461 or build a 454, and IF i were to go with the chevy how hard would it be to put in?

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
There is no doubt the 461 will cost you more. But it will be the easy install option. As well as provide you with awesome Pontiac torque. And lastly not offend true Pontiac enthusiast who will take offence to you having a Chevy under the hood.

Then there is resale. If you ever go to sell the car, the Pontiac motor is worth much more than the chevy in that car.

To install the Chevy you will more or less need to get some parts for the other F-body brand. Big block motor mounts, Battery tray to move the battery to the other side, and more stuff like that.

The choice is yours. It's your car, do what you want with it.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Be different.....put a 2JZGTE in it LOL!!

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
<<<< this guy cant find one for a decent price.....$750 for a buildable core 455 that has who knows what wrong with it....no thnx! All the 400s are in Dallas/Ft worth area...too far to drive...

I will be the black sheep in my bird, but thats ok. Its mine and im aiming for low E.T. on a budget. Did find a set of BBC Dart Pro 1's 345cc with jesel shaft mount rocker setup for $3k :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
I just found a 1967 WW 400 block 40 miles from Oakland!They are around if you know where to look.Will gethis contact info for him.Tom

·
Registered
596 Posts
If you want anything in a broad base pontiac part or info you HAVE to go to the PY board.This is a great site for firebird stuff but is very narrow in its scope.Will post a link for you.Tom

for some reason it wont let me paste here.Tom

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts

·
BillyMagg
306 Posts
Guy has a few in Sacramento.Will get you his contact info.Tom
Since your 350 is still running try craigslist, take your time, go under general auto parts and type in 400 or 455 Heads, Block, etc, you will have to be patient, but you will find some neat stuff. Just make sure the parts you find are compatible, nice to have a complete one to rebuild, but there are a lot of dreamers out there when it comes to pricing. Just take your time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts