Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2000 Firebird V6 3800 with an auto trans with about 145k miles.

I have pretty much determined I have a rear seal oil leak. Leave a small oil spot every time I move the vehicle. Oil is leaking out the back of the engine onto the exhaust. Check the back of the valve covers and they are dry.

Planning on replacing the rear seal over the upcoming long weekend. I have pulled trans on pickups before but there was a lot more room and everything was easier to get to.

I figured I would be smart for once and went ahead and purchased a Chiltons manual. A little confusing how it jumps around but it seems to cover everything. I am hoping not to have to remove everything that is mentioned

The manual mentions that you have to remove the catalytic converter to take out the transmission. Just wondering if you really have to remove the converter to pull the trans out of the way to replace the rear seal.

Also if anyone who has replaced the rear seal or pulled the trans on a 3800 has any tips or comments that would be great

Thanks for the info

Joe

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
You might want to download the 2000 service manual. Read the rear seal replacement section starting on page 6-135. It does not give you a step by step like the Chilton's manual. But it does give some very important info about the correct alignment of the seal housing. There's a special tool GM uses which would be helpful.

If rear seal is not aligned correctly, the new seal could leak.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you have access to a shop or lift, this would make things 1000% easier, and dropping the whole k member and trans is done in no time... it is also a perfect time to upgrade the stall and cam it in the process. If your blocking it up, make sure you spend some time under there and eyeball the clearance you have to work with before you remove anything.

About the catalytic converter, I don't see any reason you would have to remove it, you may have to unbolt the Y Pipe and undo the exhaust hangers to gain access to it. Worst case you can just disconnect the O2s, cut the pipe after the catalytic clear of the trans, unbolt the y pipe and then get a exhaust clamp from autozone (like $11 bucks).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts