Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 305 GM (14010203, 80-84) in my 77 firebird.

the 305 is very sluggish. I "rebuilt the carb" which really didn't consist of anything other than changing gaskets and seal for the accelerator pump. it's still very slow.

So i'm looking at putting a 350 in it, I found one about an hour away from me, the guy will sell it to me for 200 + some additional dirty vortec heads for 50 bucks.

It's a 1995 chev 350 tbi, he's going to take the throttle body and harness with it, so i'm looking to put my carb on it.

Questions are........

1. would my eddlebrock performer RPM intake and rochester Qjet bolt onto this?

2- if it does not have a plate for mechanical fuel pump, how difficult /expensive is it to add an electric pump somewhere along the line and how do i know to pick the right one?

I want to rebuild the 350 next winter and drop it in then. i've never done anything to this extent so it will be a learning process, but i dont want to buy something that I wont be able to use and I find it's hard finding information online pertaining to something exactly like this, can anyone shed some light or advice?

Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also additional questions are, can the vortec heads just "bolt" on ?

So if i have to change the intake, will i still be able to use the qjet, what else do I need to do to turn it to non-tdi carburated

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
If your intake and carb fit your 305, it will fit the 350, as long as it's not the later vortec engine. Not sure if it would fit vortec engine or not.

Electric fuel pumps run anywhere from $40 to hundreds of $$$. You would have to plum it into the existing fuel lines which isn't too bad of a job.

Since GM made some major changes to vortec engine like firing order and other things, I'm thinking that older sbc and vortec heads are not interchangeable. But this is an educated guess.

Also not sure if 95 350 was a sbc or a vortec engine.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

well I hope i didnt make a mistake going for this newer low mile cheaper engine lol. i thought It would have been a better deal and cheaper to put into the car, but now i'm wondering if it's actually going to cost more now!.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,425 Posts
The Vortec heads are a direct bolt on. But the Vortec heads (GM OEM, not necessarily aftermarket versions) have a different intake manifold bolt pattern and different bolt angle than the earlier SBC heads. In addition to the bolt pattern issue, the Vortec heads have a raised intake runner that makes trying to match a Gen 1 (early) intake manifold problematic. Check with Edelbrock, but I don't think you can use that manifold.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks! i guess for the price of an electric aftermarket pump and possibly an intake its not too bad of a deal, providing the motor is in good shape

·
thirdgen nut
26 Posts
vortec heads will require a diffrent intake as the intake bolts go straight down and not at an angle like normal sbc heads but other than that yes you can use a qjet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts