Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an 81 trans am that originally had the 301. It was my husband's car which he was mid project modifying before he suddenly unexpectedly passed away from an on the job injury. My 21 yr old daughter inherited the car.

Her dad swapped the 301 for a 350 small block he purchased for several thousand a couple yrs back. Came with all the bells and whistles new headers, carburator, starter, alternator, and prob more than I can think of off the top of my head. Anyways the swap was almost complete and he was able to fire it up and hear it purrr beautifully no problems there a couple weeks before he was injured and hospitalized.

Now my daughter has to move and take the car with her and we can trailer the car no problem but would be so much simpler and would have to be done sooner or later since where she is moving has rules pertaining to vehicles being in full running and driving order. The problem we are facing right now, being newbies and girls still learning is that the torque converter doesn't bolt up. He put an adapter plate between the motor and stock tranny and that's as far he got before he passed away.

My question is should the torque converter bolt up? If not is there some kinda adapter to put behind it so it will? Or is it an absolute have to as far as needing a 350 transmission and that bring the only solution? My daughter will eventually be putting a new transmission in but a couple mechanic buddies of her dad's have insisted the stock one should still be usable in the mean time until she gets to that point. Help please.

He's been gone now since mid October of last year and he's owned this car since my daughter was still in a car seat. He loves that car and was super excited to almost be finished. We know he isn't resting in peace with it as is. We wanna give a little smoke show just for him rather than trailer it to her new home.

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
There are BOP TH300/400 to SBC adapter plates available. Appears that has already been installed. In addition I believe you may need a longer pilot bushing and longer dowel pins. Then there's the question asked above - whether the BOP converter bolt pattern/bolt circle will match the Chevy flexplate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts