Firebird Nation banner

3.8 V6 A/C Compressor Bracket - Extinct?

17K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Suron 
#1 ·
Yesterday I went to replace the squeaking belt on the Firebird and found out that the belt wasn't the problem at all. The front A/C compressor bracket snapped in half and the compressor was just dangling there. It seems the belt was holding the compressor in place and it wasn't very happy about this, thus the squeakage.

Normally I'd be taking everything apart and replacing the bracket right now, except I can't find a replacement. A dozen sites I've been to list it, but say that it's out of stock or and/out of production. Many more sites list the wrong bracket. There are none on eBay. Rock Auto doesn't list it. I'm going to call the local Chevy dealership after I finish this post, but I fear an astronomical price quote, if they even have it.

So, does anybody know where I can get this bracket? Or, since I've seen a few posts about people doing an "A/C delete," does anyone have one they'd be willing to sell me?

In the picture below, it's #4, right in the middle. It's also where the idler pulley mounts.

960403MF09-034.JPG

See less See more
Discussion starter · #2 ·
Wow, just got off the phone with the dealer and it's been discontinued by GM. They don't have it and can't get it. The guy gave me the part number (24506755) and suggested that I Google it... which I've already done with the above mentioned results.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the craigslist idea sea dog, I hadn't thought of that. There's one guy parting out two Firebirds on craigslist within a reasonable distance of my area. He doesn't say if they're V8 or V6, but I emailed him and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

As for eBay and Amazon, I had already checked them both with zero results. eBay hasn't had one since January, and after messaging like eight people on eBay, only one of them has a V6 car coming in, but they won't be getting to it till next weekend. I had tried car-part.com also, except they don't have an option for that specific bracket.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
I got one from a local guy who works on and parts out 3rd and 4th gen F-bodies. He just happened to have two '99 V6 Firebirds. Found him on craigslist thanks to sea dogs suggestion.

On a side note, after I bought the bracket for Moms Firebird, I bought a '99 Camaro convertible for 500 bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.