Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a misfire on the #3 cyl only at idle. If the rpms are at or over 1k, it's smooth. At idle though, it shakes and the SES light flashes that there is a misfire. Code is saying #3 cyl. I havent had the chance to really dig into it yet as money is crazy tight this month. I think it may be a sticky injector or a weak coil. There is no loss in power, but gas mileage seems to be down (though I only have had the car one month and only drive 6 miles a day total so it's hard to judge on just one tank of gas) Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just recently had a very similar issue but on cylinder #5. Periodic flashing MIL, misfire on cyl 5 as per obd2 scanner. No other faults present.

I did the following:

1 check for spark

Connect an in-line spark tester between the coil and wire of misfiring cylinder. Verify spark. If no problem there connect it between the wire and spark plug, this may be a tight fit but this test will check if the wire isn't at fault.

If all is well, pull the spark plug and check theres no obvious problems.

2 since i didnt seem to have any issues with spark i pulled the fuel injector and swapped it with another i had laying around and that solved my problem. Probably a faulty or clogged injector.

·
Administrator
3,413 Posts
Since money is tight, I'd swap parts from cylinder 3 one at a time, with a good firing cylinder, starting with coil pack, then plug wire, then plug. Your seeing if you can get the mis to move to the cylinder you swapped #3's parts with. Do one part at a time so you know which part fixes the problem.

If swapping another cylinders parts don't fix the miss, then move to swapping #3 injector with another cylinders injector. If mis still there on # 3 it's time for a compression & leak down test on cylinder 3. Do compression test on several good firing cylinders to get a baseline reading for compression.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Im really thinking its a stuck injector, and it's stuck open slightly. It only started after a WOT pass to get around an 18 wheeler blocking the road. Sea dog, I think your solution is probably best for tracking down the culprit, but Im not sure I will be able to get down in there to swap out parts beyond the coil. Almost looks like it would be easier from underneath... and of course I live in an apartment complex and lifting the car safely isnt really an option here. I did toss in a can of seafoam into the tank to see if I can clean the injectors from the inside out. Figured it wont hurt anything to clean them all up at the same time along with the rest of the fuel system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.