Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just a quick query - should the headliner have a lower line down the middle? I can't work out if it has sagged or meant to be like that, it's such a perfect line from the middle of the screens through the dome light fitting it almost looks like it's meant to be like that - but not quite. Apologies if this is a daft question but I have absolutely no reference to other cars in this area.

I thought headliners only sagged due to moisture and this has been in a hot climate. One odd thing, it looks like the dome light has shorted out violently at one time, the bulb holder is burned and there looks like track marks in the headliner where I presume the wire has got hot. I'll chase that back to the fuse and replace come the time, but it seems an odd thing to happen.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
I believe 78's used the foam board type of head liner. They can droop at anyplace on the headliner. The glue that holds the fabric to foam board gives up and starts to droop. And to further complicate this, the foam board itself will start disintegrating after a certain number of years.

If there is an extra line in headliner, it could be because material has drooped and was glued back in place.

A shorted out dome light assembly can cause enough heat to start the foam board on fire. The foam is very flammable. If all you have are burn marks, fix the problem, if it hasn't been fixed already.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. The foam is stuck resolutely to the board, so if the board is cracked I will have to repair it, no chance of a replacement around here.

I don't suppose anyone has tried repairing these and has any tips, perhaps bonding something thin across the breaks? A bit of fibreglass maybe? Is the headliner bonded to the roof panel or just held up by the window/header rail/dome light??

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hy,

you can repair...

Loose the line holder all around, loose the doomlight,

put the seat back and you can remove the headliner complete.

I have made this on the same way.

Remove the vinyl and the foam.

Go to a shop who sell vinyl coated foam or look on ebay

1m x 1.5m = 5€ plus shipping.

I have buy 2m x 1.5m. 2 Strong Glue bottles in a rattlecan up to 120°C (cause in summer its getting hot on the roof.

Reassemle all parts finish.

I will uploud pictures later.

Regards
Sascha

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hy,

how I promise the pictures

befire I remove, the headliner hang down..

Sleeve Grey Tints and shades Automotive exterior Pattern Automotive exterior Line Road surface Water Tints and shades

Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Fixture

Wood Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Wood Wall Tints and shades Rectangle Facade

Wood Wall Tints and shades Rectangle Facade Hood Vehicle Wood Automotive mirror Automotive exterior

cleaned up the presswood

Drinkware Fluid Wood Liquid Gas Brown Wood Rectangle Tints and shades Hardwood

New headliner installed

Fixture Automotive design Automotive mirror Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Window Cloud Mirror Automotive design Automotive side-view mirror

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door Automotive design Hood Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle door

The Time I have needed to rebuild the headliner was ca. 4h

costs = not mor then 50€ ( ca. 60$)

regards sascha

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much Sascha! What a transformation, very smart.

Very useful to see what the underside of the roof looks like and where the dome light wires are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts