Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at possibly picking up an '80 firebird with the Buick 231 V6 in it. I was wondering if anyone has pulled off a swap transplanting a 3800 "Series II" from a 96-02 4th Gen into a 2nd Gen?

Obviously a V8 swap is the way to go (and I have 3 Olds V8s in various states of completion); but considering people can't give away 1996-2002 V6 4th Gens it would be a cheap swap and provide 200hp, EFI and better MPGs and drivability than the old 231. I think it'd be relatively easy to pull of the swap if the 231 and 3800 have the same motor mounts (no fab work required). Most time consuming part would be fuel pump and wiring along with modifying the trans X-member for the 4L60e and getting the driveshaft shortened (that's really just $$ not difficult).

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about computer & wiring to control everything?
If you have a donor car just pull the ecm/tcm and have a tuner delete the VATS it’s probably about on par with wiring up an LS swap. Using a standalone system to control the Efi and 4L60e is a possibility too but it’s $$$$ and the whole point of a v6-v6 would be to keep costs low.

· Registered
61 Posts
Another thing to consider is Oil pan clearance on the engine crossmember and steering gear.

But I like the idea it would be as quick as most 305 powered 3rd gens!

Reactions: rogue_ryder
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.