Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago my pop up headlights decided to take a trip and decided to open and close with obnoxious noise. This is both headlights at exact same time. It happens when I close them and set the alarm. I replaced the drivers side motor last year. Any ideas? Very annoying.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sounds like the plastic gear went bad... both at the same time is possiblel but a little bit of a reason to raise an eyebrow.

Do the headlights go down, then up, then down again and make the noise?

If so then you may have broken the bump stops. Otherwise, I'd suggest getting the metal gear replacement, they are a little pricey, but the metal gear is built to last... I went cheap 3 years ago and replaced the plastic gear, no problems since. It was just a PIA to get the motors out.

·
Administrator
3,424 Posts
The site I linked to in post # 2 has instructions on how to remove & replace motor and how to take the gear housing apart on the motor. And put it back together. The site sells the metal gears also.

Be sure to pay close attention to the part about the metal tabs holding the motor & gearbox together. They tend to get loose. When they do the motor and gearbox flex when operated. This causes the gear to wear very quickly. Even the metal gears you can buy. Site has instructions on tightening the tabs back up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.