Firebird Nation banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I reached through the side window and started my 2002 red firebird convertible it seemed to be idling low then it shut off
now it wont start I cant find any obvious problem I jumped the fuel pump and it still didn't start it has the V8 LS eng.no codes are showing.

·
Administrator
3,274 Posts
When you say no codes showing, do you mean that ses light is not lit? Or do you mean you scaned for codes with an obd 2 scanner, and it had no codes?

If 1st sentence is how you concluded that you have no codes, know that some codes don't light the ses. A scan with an obd 2 scanner will be needed.

Have you done any testing to determine if fuel system or ignition system is the problem? Quick way to test fuel system operation is to spray some starter fluid into intake elbow. Have assistant crank engine. If engine runs for a second or 2, You've eliminated the ignition sys as the problem.

If engine won't run with starting fluid, you need to test the ignition system. To help you troubleshoot, download the 2000 factory service manual at the following link. Don't worry, 2002firebird shares 99% of info with 2000.www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

In section6 of manual you will find the ls1 engine testing.

One last thing, if ignition system fires engine using starting fluid, but won't run on it's own. There could be a problem with the security system. Normal operation of the security sys is, when you turn key to on, security light comes on for several seconds, then goes out. If security light doesn't come on, you need to fix that problem. If security light comes on and stays on, you have a problem.

When security sys fails, injector operation is eliminated. Also there are codes, that when set, will cause a no injector operation condition. In chapter 6 of service manual, you will find all codes explained. Also tests for fuel, ignition, & security system.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts