Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the original owner of a 2001 WS6 TransAm. Recently when getting a lower A/C hose replaced, I noticed that there should be two shields or guards underneath the frame that appear to protect the tie rod boots. One of the shields is completely gone, and the other is in rather bad shape. I have done my best to keep this car 100% and would like to replace the shields, but am unable to locate any info on these parts (to include at my local GM dealership). I realize they are probably not critical, but I would like to replace them anyway. Can anyone help with the correct name of the part, part #, or source? I have not yet pulled off the remaining shield to see if it has a part # on it.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,084 Posts
I believe the part to which you refer is actually the alternator/generator mounting shield. It is only on the driver side and does at first appear to cover the boot. There is no such part on the passenger side. Mine was trashed also and I got a new one from GM once I figured out what it was called. Part# 10402846

http://parts.royaloakschevy.com/p/Pontiac_1998_Firebird/SHIELD-Generator-Mounting/47084018/10402846.html

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm-shield-10402846.html

Tire Wheel Crankset White Bicycle tire

It is rubber, but it would not be difficult to make or repair one out of plastic. The photo below show my attempt to repair it without knowing the actual dimensions. I later got a new one (above).

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary,

Thank you for the information. That is exactly the piece I was talking about. I appreciate that you understand my confusion regarding the part. Now that you have given me the info, it makes perfect sense. It just seemed if there was a guard on one side, there should be one on the other side. and since the one is in such bad shape, I figured the other, tho now known to be non-existent in the first place, was gone.

BTW - Nice pictures - your repair job looks a lot like what I was planning to do and looks like it handled the issue, tho I agree, getting a new part is a better option if possible. I will take your part # to my local dealer and see if I can get one.

Again, thank you and you car looks great!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.