Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning!

I will start where all my troubles began. I was driving up a large hill. The vehicle began to lose power, until it completely died almost at the peak. Figured this was a fuel issue, maybe just lack of fuel in the tank.(was under a 1/4 tank) Vehicle sat for about 20 minutes and then had some fuel delivered. Put it in, she fired up and drove about 1000ft. Car died again. Rolled it into a gas station, thinking it must need more fuel. Since I did not add a whole lot on the side of the road. Filled up the tank and she fired up again. Drove maybe a half mile down the road and she yet again died. Had it towed home from there. Figured it was a fuel pump issue. Replaced the fuel pump. Tried to start it, no go. Looked at the lines on the engine, no fuel. Went back to the fuel filter and it was pouring fuel out of the rear. Some was coming out of the front end, but not as much as the back end, so I figured this might be the issue. Replaced the fuel filter. Tried to start it, no go. Checked the evap line after several attempts to prim/start the engine. There was no pressure what so ever on the evap line and when I pulled it off it was bone dry. Both the in and out fuel lines had fuel in them, but nothing really came out when I took them off. No real pressure behind it. Has anyone ever experienced this issue or something like it? If so, what was your fix? I am thinking my next step is to replace the fuel pressure regulator. But I hate to just keep throwing money at this car. As the name states, it is just falling to pieces. Please advise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuel pump relay? Can you hear the pump coming on when you turn the key to run?
Yes it seems to be operating normally. Turns on every time you turn the key.

solenoid? or a filter.

if check engine light is on buy a obd2 code reader. your car has lots of computer parts so you will benefit from that part again in the future.

goodluck
All solenoids are brand new. All filters are good. As I stated, fuel filter is brand new. I also own an OBD II. Ran it as soon as I shut down on the hill initially. One error was Loss of power, one was multi-cylinder misfire and then my trusty failed emission code(which is either the cat or an O2 sensor). So no help there.

·
Registered
512 Posts
One symptom of a bad regulator is fuel being sucked into the intake manifold, any extra fuel in your oil? Does the vac line that goes to the fuel regulator smell like gasoline? It would be nice to know the fuel pressure too.

·
Administrator
3,413 Posts
Go back to square 1 and start with the basics. Put a fuel pressure gauge on your fuel rail and test key on prime pressure. Should be around 43 psi.

If you don't have any fuel pressure, remove gas cap. Have assistant turn key on while you listen for sound of fuel pump running. If you can't hear fuel pump run, you must troubleshoot to see why it doesn't run. Bad fuel pump is most common cause, but other things can cause pump not to run.

On the other hand, if fuel pump runs and you have low or 0 fuel pressure,you must find out why.

Try a quick and easy test to see if engine will run. For this test have a FIRE EXTINGUISHER at hand, just in case. You are going to put gas in a spray bottle and spray it into intake while assistant cranks engine. If car runs, you know it's a fuel related problem. REMEMBER SAFETY FIRST, do not do this test without a fire extinguisher at hand.

Do these checks and tests and report your findings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't been able to touch the car in the past days. Friend thinks it could be a cam or crank sensor. Gonna try to test them and see if they are working. If not then I will probably have yo start from square one like sea dog suggested. Hoping to test this week. Thanks for the input so far guys. Will let u know what I find out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tested the spark. It was working so I ruled out that side out. Went back through the fuel and found out that I wired the aftermarket pump wrong. Fixed that and she fired right up. Thanks for all the input!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.