Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something weird happened on the way to work. I rarely drive the car since it is my daughters but I went to work yesterday morning and the car died at a gas station. At the time the weather was really bad and even had a tornado nearby so I was waiting out the storm under the shelter for the pumps. As I was sitting there the wind and rain was pretty significant and was blowing over the nose of the car in a mist. Then the car just died. Tried to start (will turn over) several times with no luck. Here is what I have checked so far. Fuses good, IAT and MAF cleaned (not wet at all), checked all electrical connections, changed cam sensor (because it was cheap and easy to do). Has about a half a tank of fuel. When I turn the key on I can hear the fuel pump. The crank sensor was changed at the beginning of the year. What else is there to look at?

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
You know fuel pump is running but you need to put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail to see what your fuel pressure is. Should be around 43 psi @ key on prime.

If fuel pressure is good, then you need to know if fuel injectors are opening to spray fuel. A noid light or 2 lead test light are used to check fuel injectors. When key is on, fuel injectors get power. It's the ground for injectors that pcm supplies that makes them open.

Does your security light cycle on then back off when key turned to on. This is normal. If security light stays on, then pcm will not supply ground to open the injectors.

How about spark. Get a spark tester, the kind that puts a load on ignition system. See if you have a good strong spark on several cylinders.

And welcome to the forum.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,080 Posts
Check for trouble codes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. No trouble codes but I will check for fuel pressure. Found out the pump could be bad even though it is cycling. I'm used to Fords I guess. When their pump goes it's gone. You cant hear it any more. I'll go through process you have listed and come back when I get an answer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts