Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
VeganBadass
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

Im Looking for videos that clearly show how to take apart a 10 bolt rearend. Particularly changing the axle bearings. Also any advice on determining which bearing is actually bad. The gear set looks really good so the grindy noise must be the bearings i'm thinking. There were very fine metal particles on the magnet of the factory diff cover.

Thanks

John

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
Clarify what you want to replace. Axle bearings are on the outer ends of the axles, near the wheels. Differential bearings are in the center section and support the differential carrier. Or do you want to replace all? There are also bearings that support the pinion shaft.

Describe the "grindy noise" and when it occurs.... high speed, low speed, accelerating, coasting, in corners, all the time.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
If I were to take apart a 10 bolt, I would just replace all the bearings. Wheel bearings, carrier bearings, pinion bearing, and flush out all the old fluid. You can look at the bearings you take out and inspect the rollers and the races for any signs of fretting, flaking, or maybe cage damage. If you are hearing something, you should be able to see something somewhere. Also, inspect the axle splines, and where the wheel bearings ride for excessive wear. Don't forget to get new seals, and Posi-additive. If you find the wasted bearing or an axle has a big groove worn in it, you may want to stop taking things out, replace the bad axle, or bearing you found, and be done. If you plan on keeping/driving the car for many years and have it half way apart, I'd go ahead and do it all while I'm into it. If you do end up going all the way back to removing the pinion, now would be the time to change the gear ratio if you want.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.