Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had problems on and off with my 2000 firebird not cranking. All the lights, radio, gauge lights, service lights, etc. come on when I turn the key and try to crank it. The security light does not flash or stay on. Sometimes if I turn the key on and off real quick over and over and take the key in and out, the car will eventually start. Lately, if I swab the inside of the cylinder with alcohol and wipe the key down, it will usually (not always) start. It has gotten to the point where I can't count on any of those tricks to work. Yesterday, I started researching probable fixes and thought maybe I would need to replace the key cylinder and then I remembered I have also been having weird power issues with my windows and my radio is cutting out for split seconds a lot lately too. Is it possible that all of these issues are related to the BCM or am I dealing with two separate issues?

Everything I read related to the crank issue seems to be situations where the security light stays on. Since I don't have that problem, I haven't found any answers that fit my circumstances. Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Couple of questions. How often does the engine fail to crank? Does it fail to crank after sitting for 6-8 hrs? Will engine eventually start? Is problem more prevalent when it is hot or cold? Have you tried to use a remote starter to crank engine when it fails to start with key? I think you may have 2 separate problems. I have a 2001 FB w/3.8 motor auto. Lots of miles. My car would fail to crank intermittently when it was hot outside-90 degrees or more. Eventually it would start. I think in my case that there was something in the ignition circuit that disconnected with the heat, I have yet to locate problem since it may happen maybe 6 times a year. If you have a spare key try using that one instead of the one you are using now. Key has a chip/resistor that may be failing. Do Not purchase a new key or any other part until you locate the cause of your problem. Check all the ignition and cranking wires for corrosion or being loose. If I think of anything else I will post. Good Luck

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Here's some of the things that can cause car not to crank. Key cylinder not being able to read key resistor, Wires from ign lock to bcm are broken inside and are not sending resistance to bcm. trans position switch is going bad.

Starter relay going bad. Bcm not sending ground to starter relay. Bad electrical part of ign sw located under dash attached to steering column. Bad starter, bad wiring or connectors anywhere between ign sw and starter.

All those things must be functioning correctly for starter to crank engine You might want to download the 2000 service manual or just the 2000 wiring diagrams in the 4th gen tech section.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the info! @BeemanBob: I haven't noticed any difference with the problem based on heat or cold. I have had the crank problem in all weather. I live in the north and it started during the spring, had a few episodes in the summer and now in winter. Using a spare key didn't make a difference.

After I made the original post, I tried something that seems to have made a difference - at least for now. When I wasn't able to get the car started after trying everything I could think of, I turned the key to the on position but didn't try to crank it. I let it sit for a few seconds - until most of warning lights have gone off. I heard a distinct pop and then tried to start the car - it turned over and it has started every time since. I hope this holds!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here's some of the things that can cause car not to crank. Key cylinder not being able to read key resistor, Wires from ign lock to bcm are broken inside and are not sending resistance to bcm. trans position switch is going bad.

Starter relay going bad. Bcm not sending ground to starter relay. Bad electrical part of ign sw located under dash attached to steering column. Bad starter, bad wiring or connectors anywhere between ign sw and starter.

All those things must be functioning correctly for starter to crank engine You might want to download the 2000 service manual or just the 2000 wiring diagrams in the 4th gen tech section.
I have had starting issues as well and all of these things Sea Dog stated are the likely cause. However, mine was caused from a missing ground. I added a ground wire from the starter to the unibody and all is now good. Also cheap and easy to check, but not likely your issue. If you search a bit on here there are a few threads that provide ideas. Here are two

http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/topic/516794-1995-pontiac-firebird-34-will-not-start-or-turn-over/

http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/topic/238067-car-wont-star-security-system/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts