Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just recently bought a 2000 Firebird project. The front bumper cover was trashed. I found one at a local salvage yard. The one I bought was in good shape other than what looks like 3 different colors from previous owners, cracked paint, and medium deep scratches.

My questions are: Are these plastic or fiberglass or a mixture of both? Can these covers be sanded like other parts of the body? Is there a certain procedure for paint prep that I need to know before I start? There is only one dime sized defect that may need body filler, if it is ok to use it on these covers? Any help would be appreciated

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
You can sand the soft plastic bumper covers like any other body part. There are adhesion promoters you can get at auto paint supply dealers.

And your bumper cover will need a flex additive to help prevent paint cracking.

Bondo is not flexible enough for soft plastic. 3M and other companies make flexible bumper filler repair kits. Or epoxy is a good choice for filler.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I use the primer for rubber bumpers that has the adhesion promoter and flex additives, can I use regular paint? I was planning to use Dupli- Color match paint over this. Would this be okay? If not, where can I get color match bumper paint in the aerosol can? All I can find in bumper paint is generic black and grey. All I will be painting is the bumper cover.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts