Firebird Nation banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
2,545 Posts
Obviously the dry rotted tires that are on it now. I wouldn't trust those outside of my driveway, and after what you just said and shown, I wouldn't even trust them in my driveway. Looks like I said as much in post #3 of this thread. Forgot all about that. Get the BFG Sport Comp 2, or an equal, or better ASAP!

Reactions: TheFoxRocks

·
Registered
1997 Pontiac Firebird WS6, 5.7L V8, LT1 348
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Obviously the dry rotted tires that are on it now. I wouldn't trust those outside of my driveway, and after what you just said and shown, I wouldn't even trust them in my driveway. Looks like I said as much in post #3 of this thread. Forgot all about that. Get the BFG Sport Comp 2, or an equal, or better ASAP!
I thought so but I wasn't sure. Because I mentioned that the ones Fred linked to are no longer available. So I thought you just might be referring to those as far as quality went. Anyway no BF Goodrich tires are available at the local shops. I just went back to TireRack.com and put in my size. This is what is available to me right now and what most of the shops seem to be carrying.

Yeah I was not planning on cruising around town with these tires on or going on vacation lol. Today I was just driving it down the street a little, probably did not put a half mile on it all together. I am going to try to get some air in these tires and hopefully make the trip into town. It isn't going to be a short trip either. This shop is probably a good fifteen miles from me, so we will see what happens.

·
Administrator
2,545 Posts
I can not select a tire for you unfortunately. ...what I can do is offer a little information to help you. When looking at tires you're looking first at the treadwear and temperature ratings. A number like "500 AA A". 500 is how much longer the tire lasted over the control tire. The control tire is always a 100. ...so, a 500 tire will last 5 times longer. If the control tire was rated for 10,000mi, the 500 rated tire will last 50,000mi. A drag tire would be rated in double-digit numbers like 40 meaning "4,000 miles". One thing this number tells you besides expected mileage under normal conditions, is how soft the rubber compound is. The lower the number, the softer (stickier) the tire. A Prius tire for example is between 600 and 900. They last forever, but are also slicker than snot.

Most of the tires in the list are AA A. "AA A" is as good as it gets.

...so, how do we compare these tires to the BFG? The treadwear. The BFG is 340. So, the tires in the "3xx AA A" range are comparable on the face of it. The "2xx AA A" will offer more grip but will not last as long. A "4xx AA A" tire will be a little more slippery but will last longer, etc. Now I said "on the face of it" because tread pattern greatly affects traction, and the rigidity of the sidewall affects cornering. This makes the entire list apples and oranges even between tires with the same rating.

The BFG is available in 17" from Summit Racing, their page says "Will be special ordered for you, estimated ship date 12/16/2021".

I drive my T/A very little and I live in Florida, so I always buy the stickiest tire I can get my hands on. This usually means a summer tire with literally zero treadwear rating. The kind of tire that even if it never does a burnout, you're doing good to get 12,000mi out of them. I like these tires as I can literally launch with the power, authority, and confidence in the wet as I do in the dry. Very little if any "additional" wheelspin over dry, and they bite down and grip just as quickly. In the wet, below 80% throttle, even a clutch dump results in a quick chirp from the tires and a hard launch. ...the flip side is one day around 9,000mi, all of a sudden, it's not the same tire. If you're not experienced with the vehicle, this SURPRISE! can lead to a ditch as the wet cornering grip you're now accustomed to isn't there anymore. Not joking when I say yesterday that was a 50MPH corner and today it's barely 30. They change on you that fast. Literally overnight.

If you're where it snows or gets real cold and can afford summer tires for the factory wheels and a set of winter tires on cheap steel wheels, that's the way to go in my opinion. All season tires have come a long way over the decades, but they still are a "jack of all trades...". If you're going for the "one-size-fits-all" All Season tire, read reviews.

I have no experience with any tire on that page, or the BFG for that matter. ...but after reading these forums for decades, the BFG GFORCE SPORT COMP 2 seems to be the highest recommended and most satisfying tire on the 4th gen 'birds and Camaros. I'm probably going with Nitto 555 G2 Summer tire. That's a 200 AA A.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,522 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
He needs a 275/40-17

Hey Fred,

I was just about to say that. I actually checked them the other night and they were out of stock. It looks like stock is fluctuating with them. The expected ship date now is into next year. I just talked to a business out of state and he said he can order them from California. So I told him I would make a decision in the next couple of days before the holiday. He said the estimated arrival date was like just before Christmas or something. I do not mind waiting though. They seem like they are the most recommended tire.

At this point it looks like the car is unfortunately going back on stands. Because my best bet I think is going to be to take the tires off and take them to this place. It is a 20-25 mile drive to Virginia where he is from me. I still may decide to put air in the tires and and see what they look like. Just a trip like that right now is risky on these tires. We did it last year though when we brought the car home and that was about 60+ miles.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I can not select a tire for you unfortunately. ...what I can do is offer a little information to help you.
Also thanks for the detailed reply. I did not know this about tires. I will have to keep it in mind from now on when selecting tires. Tires do make all the difference. I had a set of Good Year Wranglers (less expensive version for 1500 trucks) and the truck honestly rode comparable to our Camry. Only people who have experienced a ride in a GMT900 series truck with the open frame in the back and Good Year Wrangler Tires know what I am talking about. I swapped that truck over to the highest warranty I could get on tires which were Michelins and the truck just never rode the same. I then started experiencing their notorious rust issues and traded it for the 2017 Sierra I have now. Biggest mistake I have ever made, the truck is part of the "Chevy Shake" class action lawsuit, has General Tires on it and it well... rides like a truck.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts