Firebird Nation banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Pontiac Firebird WS6, 5.7L V8, LT1 348
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again for the fourth time,

Hey guys and gals (noticed there is a considerable amount of ladies registered on this site when compared to others) I am looking for some more feedback.

1.) Tire Recommendations

It might be important to note right off the bat that I have the WS6 Firebird and I read that tire size might be different on this package. They are P275 / 40Z R17. They have also seen better days. I have never actually owned a muscle car before so not sure what I would be looking for. When I do drive this car it will probably just be around town leisurely. So I guess I would target something that rides nice over performance? I read somewhere that you can consider putting slightly wider tires on the back as well, but probably wouldn't want something that sticks out beyond the fenders or has a chance to interfere with anything.

2.) Keyless Entry

So my car has power door locks from the factory and has the "AU0" RPO code. I only have one set of keys right now and going to get another set cut soon, but I would love to have keyless entry which looks like it is an option for my car. How would I go about finding a remote that is compatible and programing it. It would also be nice to do it myself or do so without spending a small fortune if possible.

Attachments

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,522 Posts
Keyless fobs are readily available online or probably from a dealer, based on the year make/model/year of your car.

Shoebox has the programming procedure:

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#1996keyless

You could bump the rear tires up to a 285/40-17. That size generally requires at least a 9.5" wide wheel. Your wheels are 9.0" wide. You could probably get away with it. There would be a small error (-1.2%) introduced in the speedometer/odometer. Such a small increase in width will not be noticeable with regard to appearance or performance

Next choice is 315/35-17. They typically require at least a 10.5" wide wheel. But would not alter speedometer/odometer. Can keep them just under the outer edge of the rear fender with correct wheel offset. May have issues with rubbing on inner fenders, wheels catching on protruding lip of the jounce bumper bracket, etc. I have a complete guide to required modifications on another site.

Any difference between front and rear tire size limits tire rotations. These are typically expensive tires and should be rotated regularly.

·
Administrator
2,545 Posts
Adding to Injuneer's post, those tires are unsafe, be very cautious. When selecting new ones, don't cheap out. With these cars, tires are everything. Wet traction is a huge deal in my T/A with the 6-spd, maybe the automatic isn't so bad, but there is a lot of torque (almost all of it) right off idle. Very easy to break the rear loose from a stop when its wet. BFG Sport Comp 2 is probably the best UHP tire for the money.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adding to Injuneer's post, those tires are unsafe, be very cautious. When selecting new ones, don't cheap out. With these cars, tires are everything. Wet traction is a huge deal in my T/A with the 6-spd, maybe the automatic isn't so bad, but there is a lot of torque (almost all of it) right off idle. Very easy to break the rear loose from a stop when its wet. BFG Sport Comp 2 is probably the best UHP tire for the money.
Yeah I learned how scary and easy it is to fish tail in pickup trucks with no weight on the rear end. I am sure these cars could easily break the rear end loose pretty easily as well. I was just looking at some tires using my specifications. I thought about buying bigger wheel rims and going larger on the back. Maybe I will just stick to stock right now being my first set on a car I have hardly driven.

Anyway it looks like you are talking about these and they are out of stock on this specific website.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/bfgoodrich-g-force-sport-comp-2/p/37064

We just got a set of Kumho tires on our Toyota Camry and like them very much so far. I was seeing that there is a cheap set available for the Firebird but like you said it is definitely opting for the cheaper option on a performance motor vehicle.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/kumho-ecsta-pa51/p/39134

·
Administrator
14,522 Posts

·
Administrator
2,545 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You also have ua6 anti theft which is important

275 40 17 all around c6 replica rims
Thanks Tom,

I do not understand is it important that I keep in mind the Theft Deterrent System when purchasing a remote? Also does anyone know where I can locate a guide or something that will tell me how to program the remote?

Also nice looking car, as I told Gary, red has always been my favorite, especially with black accents. I would tell you how awesome I think your car looks but my opinion is just too bias.

·
Administrator
14,522 Posts
........Also does anyone know where I can locate a guide or something that will tell me how to program the remote?
I gave you Shoebox's link to programming in post #2. Do you even take the time to read the info I provide? I don't think so. I'm done.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I gave you Shoebox's link to programming in post #2. Do you even take the time to read the info I provide? I don't think so. I'm done.
I remember reading your post now. I forgot about it because I have four other tabs of information I am trying to simultaneously keep track of. I am sorry I wasted someone else's time to look up the directions for me on accident. Get over it.

Also it looks like directions, including manual are only talking about key fob/keyless remote. So I am going to go out on a limb and guess that after I have a second set of keys cut they are just going to work? I know on newer vehicles the physical key that goes into the ignition has to be "learned" or something.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay so update time, I bought a keyless entry remote off eBay that was guaranteed to work for about ten bucks. They said you had to use their directions though which I never looked at. Instead I used Shoeboxes guide and it worked like a charm the first time. It is such a relief to have keyless entry on this car now. I hope that the remote does not have any problems and I will try to remember to update if it does.

I know that stuff like this (especially off eBay) can have problems. I know that many remotes themselves are suppose to remember a code or something that matches the computer/BCM and that some aftermarket ones are not programmed like that. So after your battery dies on the car or remote you have to reprogram it. I guess if that does happen it is not a huge inconvenience, but still an inconvenience.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can anyone confirm if my wheels are chrome? They just do not look like they ever were. I went online and looked at some pictures and they sure do seem to be or GM had identical molds for wheels that were not chrome. If I can confirm I plan to degrease them and use a polisher with a drill brush attachment made to restore chrome wheels. Any advice would be appreciated too as I have never restored chrome wheels. The process looks pretty simple, especially if you are not striving for perfect results. The first picture is one taken from my car directly and the second is one I found online.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,545 Posts
Those look like the standard painted wheel to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yours looked oxidized really bad. They are not painted, and they are not chrome, but high polished aluminum that makes them look chrome. They are clear coated just like the paint on the car. I would not use chrome polish on them as they are not chrome. I would use a good paint correction polish on them first and see how they turn out. If it looks better or good enough to suit you, then put a coat of wax on them. I bet they will clean up pretty good, as long as the clear coat is not worn completely off. I use Meguiars products for all my polish and waxing. Have always been very pleased with results from their products.

·
Administrator
14,522 Posts
Both wheels in those pictures appear to be 17x9 WS6 aluminum alloy wheels. The top pic shows the base 1996-2000 WS6 17x9 wheel, which was painted silver and clear coated. The bottom pic shows (what may have been optional some years) polished/clear coated version 1996-2001.

This reference appears to indicate the above info:

http://tacreationsusa.com/firebird_wheels.htm

Reactions: TheFoxRocks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Both wheels in those pictures appear to be 17x9 WS6 aluminum alloy wheels. The top pic shows the base 1996-2000 WS6 17x9 wheel, which was painted silver and clear coated. The bottom pic shows (what may have been optional some years) polished/clear coated version 1996-2001.

I actually forgot that they did offer the painted version of the 17x9. Thanks for pointing that out. Mine has the high polished version that looks chrome. The process would still be the same for both wheels, as they are both cleared. I would try to see if they would polish up first, if not then have them stripped and refinished.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thank you guys very much. The more and more I look at them I had convinced myself that they had to have been 'shiny chrome' at one time. So mine are the "96-00 WS6 Trans Am Wheels".

So now knowing what they are, is a good paint correction still a acceptable recommendation? I understand if the clear coat is diminished it will do nothing but make it worse and that is very possible. A lot of the clear coat on this vehicle is wearing off and I would bet very thin in other areas. Can anyone recommend a Meguairs product? I know they make a lot of products for polishing and I like their products as well.

Also would it be viable to, after polishing them and assuming I get good results, to go ahead and clear coat them again with something from a spray can instead of applying a wax?

If they do not turn out good I plan to sand them down, paint them metallic black and spray them with clear coat until I get sick of spraying it on. Does that also sound like a winner?

Also again thanks so much for the replies.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay so got the car off stands today and well this happened. The back drive tire bead has broken. I have a garage air compressor so going to see if I can get it to reseat. The car drove and ran pretty good. So I definitely need a new set of tires and taking recommendations. Before anyone says anything I was sold on the ones Fred had me consider. However, I cannot find a single shop around here that can order them. I will have to get back to you guys with the exact numbers on the tires but my local shop said I had only a few options for this size. One was Falken, Kumho and Cooper I believe. I was leaning towards the Kumho because we got a economy set on our Camry and they seem to be pretty nice. However, it looks like the Kumho's in this size have less than positive reviews.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Tread

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Locking hubs

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Car Tread

Attachments

·
Administrator
2,545 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. Those tires were NOT road worthy.

Reactions: TheFoxRocks
1 - 20 of 27 Posts