Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can any one share info. My 95 T/A w/ LT1 auto trans will make a noise/ feel a bump if i get down on it just a little from a take off. I can physically feel a thud/bump when it shifts from 1st to 2nd. I feel it in the shifter and coming from under my seat. I'm thinking either the u joint, drive shaft, or maybe motor mounts or something to do w/ transmission. Anyone else had this problem

·
Psycho Joe
1,298 Posts
good way to find out if its u-joints, is to jack rear of car up, and grab the driveshaft by hand, with car in neutral, and twist it back and forth and see if u hear a clunk sound from the u-joint.....

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Sounds like it could also be a broken transmission mount. It's really easy to get to. Just unbolt the crossbar going across the transmission and you will see the mount. If it comes out in pieces or is torn in half, then thats your problem. Just go to a parts store for a new one or you can get a polyurethane mount if you race or drive your car hard. You'll never break that mount again.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,975 Posts
To check the trans mount, just put a floor jack under the trans and try and lift it. If it lifts off the cross-member, the mount is broken.

Common problem. The Energy Suspension polyurethane mount is a lot stronger and almost indestructible. Some people feel it causes too much vibration of the shifter and related parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.