Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 trans am firebird and when I bought it it seems to be on a lower suspension. I'm looking to raise it up a few inches not too much just enough to where I'm not scraping my front nose everyday. Is there and good quality lifters with a good price.

·
Administrator
15,796 Posts
Post a picture so we can judge it versus stock. It isn’t unusual for the plastic air dam under the front bumper to scrape on driveways and speed bumps with stock height.

Reactions: 1993TransAm

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
3,134 Posts
The back looks stock height. It's hard to tell with the front because of the angle, but the air dam looks like it's sitting level and where it should too. The air dam is the black thing sticking down up front, it is a critical part for the cooling system and as such it is formulated to scrape and bend. They do crack and split to the point they become ineffective, but they have to be in really bad shape... The front bumper cover will occasionally take one on the chin too and get scratched and scraped up, but you'll have to lie on your back and look up at it to see the damage.

...just another day in the life of a F-Body. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Try to approach the steeper slopes at an angle instead of head on, that's all. The more perpendicular you are to the incline, reduce your speed, and you'll get a bit less suspension travel.

It's hard to get used to, but, it is normal. There is no opening for a radiator on these cars, and the Air Dam is the only thing guiding air to the radiator. As mentioned above, it's designed to be exactly where it is and do exactly what it does. Should the day come you need one, Air Dams aren't cost prohibitive or hard to come by. Last I looked, they were around $90. They really do take a beating though.

·
Administrator
15,796 Posts
Agree…. front definitely looks low. Back maybe a bit low. I briefly had a set of Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs on my 94 Formula. Dropped the car (supposedly) 1.25”. Was way too low in the front, but that was complicated by the fact I installed them with a set of QA1/HAL height adjustable front shocks. I tried my best to set the spring seat on the shocks the same height as they were on the stock deCarbon shocks. (I think I have a photo of results) but it dropped a shade more than 1.25”.

The air dam scraped on everything, speed bumps were a no-no (non-factory exhaust), and wider than stock tires on the front rubbed on the inner fender liners with the wheels at full lock, or when it hit a decent bump. In NJ many of the asphalt roads have deep “trenches“ from the weight of the permitted 80,000# tri-axle trucks. Get in those and the undercarriage would scrape.

My solution was easy - use the height adjustable front shocks to raise the front end back where it belonged. You would appear to have several options:

- you mentioned “lifters”…. I see they still make wedges and spreaders to put between the coils. 50 years ago in my youth I used them, and they are not a good solution. They fell out, broke, moved around in the coils and generally screwed up the ride and handling.

- get a new set of stock springs. Install is easy in the back, more complex in the front because of the coil-over-shock configuration. Need a spring compressor, pickle fork for one of the ball joints, and probably new upper spring/shock seats because the originals are probably rotted and the top shock nut is fused to the metal ferrule in the seat.

- get a set of height adjustable shocks for the front. The QA1 shocks are the least expensive that I am aware of, but require a QA1 spring to fit on the adjustable lower seat (or a modification to the stock lower seat so it will fit on the QA1 lower seat. I have a diagram for the modifications I made to the stock seat). The QA1’s are more “drag strip” oriented, so handling is just so-so.Switch to height adjustable coil-over-shocks in back. The front has the same issues as installing a stock spring, the back requires a welded reinforcement in the upper coil spring seat (at least in the Spohn Performance setup - best that I am aware of). An alternate in the back is an adjustable height (“jacking”) lower spring seat made by Strano Performance Parts, a major source for 4th Gen handling upgrades.

Reactions: 1993TransAm

·
Administrator
15,796 Posts
Found the photos:

LOWERED

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

RESTORED TO STOCK

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Most 4th Gen owners seem to feel the stock gaps over the tires are excessive.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,203 Posts
Post a photo taken from the side. My 98 looks about the same in the front compared with the rear with the stock size tires. Yours may be 1 inch lower.
But by the way, I scrape the front air dam almost every day now. I am amazed it is still intact after 24 years!
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Post a photo taken from the side. My 98 looks about the same in the front compared with the rear with the stock size tires. Yours may be 1 inch lower.
But by the way, I scrape the front air dam almost every day now. I am amazed it is still intact after 24 years! View attachment 232066
My air dam and my nose get some love taps every day too. It still hurts to hear that scrape noise but that's the life of a f-body owner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts