Firebird Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, this is in my hour of need because my mother owns a Black 94 trans am that still remains stock, has 88k on it, and drives like a new car. My mother needs the car as an emergency backup in case her daily is broken or someone is using it, SO WE NEED THIS CAR TO BE RUNNING PROPERLY. At the last cars and coffee, we took the car with our 65 mustang, and 06 altima. on the way to IHOP, it stalled in the middle of a road with 20 cars trapped behind us. no bucking, no smoke, just died, right there. started it up again and it ran fine. then earlier today, it stalled when i was in my neighborhood. then two more times while trying to pull it in the garage. Very confusing and i need help figuring it out. if someone could give me some info or a tip or something. it would mean the world. As i said previously the car does nothing other than just turn off, as if someone just twisted the key off. my mom is freaking out because this car is her baby.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,258 Posts
Could be something like the Optispark distributor, or the ignition control module? Both of those would set codes, but not necessarily turn on the SES light.

Have you scanned it for codes?

The ignition switch can also be a problem, as these cars age.

·
Registered
Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 1987
10 Posts
I couldnt think of anything else that would be logically possible.
Considering that with most other things like faulty fuel/air supply the engine would sputter or make odd noises and not just die.

However, maybe it could be just a fault in the wiring?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be something like the Optispark distributor, or the ignition control module? Both of those would set codes, but not necessarily turn on the SES light.

Have you scanned it for codes?

The ignition switch can also be a problem, as these cars age.
so, it throws a code then the code goes away, when we try to scan it it doesn't come up as anything

·
Administrator
14,258 Posts
When a code sets it is stored in the PCM. I will not disappear unless 1) the battery power to the PCM is disconnected; 2) or a scan tool is used to clear it; or 3) a sufficient number of drive cycles are completed without the code being set again.

Is the SES light turning on? Some codes do not turn on the SES light.

What are you using to read the codes?

Is it possible the engine is stalling because of a faulty battery cable?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When a code sets it is stored in the PCM. I will not disappear unless 1) the battery power to the PCM is disconnected; 2) or a scan tool is used to clear it; or 3) a sufficient number of drive cycles are completed without the code being set again.

Is the SES light turning on? Some codes do not turn on the SES light.

What are you using to read the codes?

Is it possible the engine is stalling because of a faulty battery cable?
so, we are using our ODB 1 reader that we used on all our old GM ODB 1 equipped cars, it still works like new. but the car never kept the engine light on continuously it went away as soon as you turned the car off

·
Administrator
14,258 Posts
The SES light doesn’t have to be on to read the codes.

Are you possibly trying to flash the codes on the SES light? Example Actron 9001. Doesn’t work on a 94.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1994 Firebird Formula also. I started having the same issue about 2 months ago. Although mine would wait about 5 minutes to restart after it died. But basically it would just stop running. It kept turning over after the stall, but it might be 5-10 minutes before it would start again. Brought it to my son who is a mechanic. He checked my fuel, no issues there. He replaced Ignition coil. no dice. Replaced OptiSpark and it has been working great for a week now. So my guess would be OPTI, but that is only because my car that is the same just had the issue.

·
DELCO NERD
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, LT1 5.7L V8
1,805 Posts
I too wonder what you are using to read the codes in this vehicle. 1994 models are year-specific with how the ALDL interfaces with a scanner, and like Fred said, they won't work with the older "scanners" that ground one of the terminals and make the SES light flash.

When the car stalls, do you smell gasoline?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts