Firebird Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This car mostly been rewired because of animals chewing up wires but can't figure out what this wire needs to go to. Surges at idle, tring to see if this is the cause or if its the optispark 1994 firebird lt1 formula
Hand Automotive tire Helmet Bag Bicycle tire

Finger Vehicle Gas Motor vehicle Auto part
<

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,975 Posts
Doesn't appear to be a factory wire. Maybe someone had a nitrous kit, or a thermostatic fan switch. Are the ends of both wires not connected to anything? Where do they originate?

(This response was typed BEFORE your second post/picture)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One looks like it come out of the harness and the other goes back behind the alternator, I plan to take alternator off and investigate where it goes,

·
Administrator
14,975 Posts
Does the A/C work? There's a wrapped wire with a diode in it for the A/C clutch circuitry. If I recall correctly, that is routed around the alternator. The wires with the diode are dark green and black. If you have the factory service manual, look at Page 8A-64-1.

Free 1994 factory service manual downoad:

Reactions: 1993TransAm

·
Administrator
14,975 Posts
When does the idle surge - cold start, during engine warm up, engine fully warmed up, all of the above? What is the range of the surge, low RPM to high RPM? Changes slowly or rapidly?

Is this an auto or manual trans? The affects idle programming.

What brand is the Opti? I've diagnosed three cases in the past of huge swings in idle speed (700 - 2,700+ RPM) caused by defective MSD Optis. Those were units produced at least 5 years ago.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It does it randomly, it can be cold or hot, it idle swing is about 700-1500, it's and auto trans, looking for a quality optispark but not sure what be good

·
Administrator
14,975 Posts
How do you know it's the Opti?

The stock PCM programming for an auto trans, fully warmed up, is 550 RPM in gear and 650 RPM in neutral. It's not unusual for the stock tach to read 100-200 RPM above actual RPM. The only way to see the true RPM is with a real time OBD-1 scanner, or data logging software.

For coolant temperatures below 154°F the PCM elevates the idle speed. It can be as high as 1,200 RPM on cold start on sub-zero days.

Idle speed at closed throrrle, vehicle not moving is controlled by the idle air control (IAC) valve in the base of the throttle body. That can be related to erratic RPM. As can loose accelerator linkage or cable, or faulty throttle position sensor. The Opti can cause the problem if the dielectric in the cap that separates the internal cylinder wire routing is failing. The MSD is the only brand I have found the problem with the cap. Most of these problems are very difficult to detect.

To repeat my earlier question, what brand is the Opti? Does it have a red cap? Appears the throttle body is stock. Are there any significant engine mods like a more aggressive camshaft that would require custom PCM tuning? Aftermarket camshafts without good tuning can produce surge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts