Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a 1984 trans am. At the time of buying it everything had worked. But recently when I turned on the left turn signal, it would flash, and so would the right one and the license plate bulb. But when I turn on the right turn signal, it works perfectly fine. The brake lights have also stopped working out of nowhere.. i don't know where to start.. can anyone help? Thanks!

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,083 Posts
The problem is that you have lost the ground connection on the left side turn light(s). Without that ground, the power "sneaks" across to the other lamps. Check the left turn socket(s) and the bulb connections.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,083 Posts
The missing ground can be at either front or rear left turn/park/stop lamp sockets. I don't remember exactly the configuration of the 86 I had once. Must be inside the hatch for the back. Don't really remember how to get to the front one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We cleaned all the grounds to the lights, still does the same thing. We found a white wire wire nutted under the dash. When we messed with it a little the left blinker turned solid. I don't know if thats exactly our problem or directly linked to it. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dad also thinks that the brake lights are stuck on (his reasoning being the fact that the 2 inner lights are brighter than the outer lights)

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,083 Posts
The inner and outer lights are wired in parallel. They get the same voltage unless one loses the ground.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have cleaned all grounds, replaced all fuses, every light bulb, cleaned all sockets. I don't know where else to look or to start diagnosing again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts