Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 84 Trans am. In the middle of an engine swap with a Jegs crate 350. Putting Fitech fuel injection on it. Jegs sent a giant fuel pump assy, can't remember the brand right now. Was wondering if I can use an in tank electric fuel pump as long as it has enough pressure. Will an 85 up sending unit work and what is the difference between 82 to 84 and then 85 up. Is it form or just connection differences. Seems 84 is not available at all.

·
Administrator
2,430 Posts
I helped someone locate an 80s fuel pump a couple years ago. They couldn't find any mention of it, and I couldn't either. Searched for CAMARO instead, found it everywhere.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,357 Posts
Is the FiTech system throttle body injection, or multi port? What is the flow and pressure requirement?

Did the early 3rd Gen carb engines still use a mechanical fuel pump?

·
Administrator
3,274 Posts
The only firebirds for 82-84 that had fuel pumps in the tanks were the one's equipped with crossfire fuel injection. This is a throttle body type injection that has pressure at about 15 psi.

In 85 & newer there were options for the tuned port injection system on 305 v8 cars. In tank pump with about 43 psi pressure The lower models still used a carb with mechanical fuel pump.

I can't remember what year that fuel injection was across the board. But throttle body injection was still offered up to 92 on RS models with 305.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts