Firebird Nation banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,018 Posts
Springs don't look stock and someone over torqued the shock plates (maybe when installing springs?). The plates should be flat. I straighten them in a press. Also looks like the upper spring pad is missing or crushed which increases fender gap a bit..

First thing to try is loosen the front spring pivot bolts and both shackle pivot bolts on both sides of the car. Then put the car on the ground and bounce it as hard as you can. If the whole suspension is hanging and the bolts are tightened then the rubber in the pivots can bind causing the car to sit high and be stiff because the rubber is trying to twist more than the engineers who designed the system intended. See if the car is lower after bouncing and tighten the bolts with the weight of the car still on the wheels. I see you have a lift so you could lower the car down onto some 6 X 6 blocks or something (instead of the floor) to give yourself room to tighten the bolts back up after bouncing. The front bolt is the hard one to tighten when the car's on the ground.

Report back here. Also, can you take a pic of the whole car from the side?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Springs don't look stock and someone over torqued the shock plates (maybe when installing springs?). The plates should be flat. I straighten them in a press. Also looks like the upper spring pad is missing or crushed which increases fender gap a bit..

First thing to try is loosen the front spring pivot bolts and both shackle pivot bolts on both sides of the car. Then put the car on the ground and bounce it as hard as you can. If the whole suspension is hanging and the bolts are tightened then the rubber in the pivots can bind causing the car to sit high and be stiff because the rubber is trying to twist more than the engineers who designed the system intended. See if the car is lower after bouncing and tighten the bolts with the weight of the car still on the wheels. I see you have a lift so you could lower the car down onto some 6 X 6 blocks or something (instead of the floor) to give yourself room to tighten the bolts back up after bouncing. The front bolt is the hard one to tighten when the car's on the ground.

Report back here. Also, can you take a pic of the whole car from the side?
Here are some pictures you wanted of both cars that are doing the same thing my thoughts are the shackles are not pivoting I have not loosened anything yet but will try to do what you said to do also pitches of the 1978 firebird rear end

21 - 22 of 22 Posts