Firebird Nation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 trans am pace car all original the problem is that the rear end sits to high it sit 4 3/4” from the top of the wheel to the wheel weld I tried trouble shooting this I took off the shocks with no change I then disconnected the sway bar from upper body still no change in height have not done anything with the leaf springs any suggestions and is there any adjustment on these

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long have you had the car? Has there been any work done on the rear springs recently?
iv had this car for 5 years no work has been done that I’m aware of I also have a 1978 firebird and have the same issue and had that car for 30 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How long have you had the car? Has there been any work done on the rear springs recently?
Also those are original bushings I was wondering if you loosen the leef spring bolts then set it back on the ground will the rear end go down haven’t tried it yet

·
Registered
188 Posts
Possibly. If replacing springs, before you torque everything down the weight of the car should be sitting on the springs first. Someone could’ve replaced the springs with new ones which can tend to sit high or maybe an aftermarket shackle. Maybe some more pictures of underneath would help a little. That’s awfully high.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I have a 1980 trans am pace car all original the problem is that the rear end sits to high it sit 4 3/4” from the top of the wheel to the wheel weld I tried trouble shooting this I took off the shocks with no change I then disconnected the sway bar from upper body still no change in height have not done anything with the leaf springs any suggestions and is there any adjustment on these View attachment 228620
Are the shackle bolts so tight they won't allow any motion?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Possibly. If replacing springs, before you torque everything down the weight of the car should be sitting on the springs first. Someone could’ve replaced the springs with new ones which can tend to sit high or maybe an aftermarket shackle. Maybe some more pictures of underneath would help a little. That’s awfully high.
Will post some more pictures shortly

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You just want pictures of the shackle or the entire spring

·
Registered
188 Posts
Those may be the wrong springs for the car. I seem to remember reading somewhere something about 5 leaf vs 4 leaf but I can’t remember exactly. What I can tell you is my 77 has 4 leafs per spring. It too sat high but not as high as yours. And my opinion of “high” is based off of cars that have probably sagged over the years with original springs.

Dont quote me but I believe you can take the springs apart and remove a leaf. Otherwise my guess would be replacement is the best option considering the height they’re causing. Even a combination of adjustable shackles and lowering blocks may leave it sitting high still.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those may be the wrong springs for the car. I seem to remember reading somewhere something about 5 leaf vs 4 leaf but I can’t remember exactly. What I can tell you is my 77 has 4 leafs per spring. It too sat high but not as high as yours. And my opinion of “high” is based off of cars that have probably sagged over the years with original springs.

Dont quote me but I believe you can take the springs apart and remove a leaf. Otherwise my guess would be replacement is the best option considering the height they’re causing. Even a combination of adjustable shackles and lowering blocks may leave it sitting high still.
What would happen if I put the car in the air and loosened the shackle and mount bolts and then set it back down would that cause any movement

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Have not checked that yet I know the rear end is really stiff when you try to bounce it up and down
Leaf springs change length as they get compressed, so the shackle has to pivot. Sounds like something is binding. I would at least verify everything is moving freely with the springs that are on the car now just to eliminate that possibility.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Leaf springs change length as they get compressed, so the shackle has to pivot. Sounds like something is binding. I would at least verify everything is moving freely with the springs that are on the car now just to eliminate that possibility.
Joe should I loosen the shackle bolts just a little and then set it back on the ground like I said that rear end is stiff same thing with my 1978 firebird the guy I bought it from did at one time had traction bars on it and air shocks but those were taken off before I bought the car in 1984. Here is a picture of the firebird rear tire and wheel weld
FD3E2A22-5008-41BD-94D6-72FC8B25B604.jpeg

·
Registered
849 Posts
the pic you showed is not the shackle. shackle is at the rear of the spring. are you sure the air shocks were removed? I've seen the air bag portion bind after a car has been raised and the rear suspension is hard as a rock and setting too high.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the pic you showed is not the shackle. shackle is at the rear of the spring. are you sure the air shocks were removed? I've seen the air bag portion bind after a car has been raised and the rear suspension is hard as a rock and setting too high.
Yes air shocks were removed

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the Shackle part that attaches to the frame how much should that pivot when the Car is raised or lowered as of now with the car sitting on the ground the shackle is pointing down yeah I should take a picture of it and post it.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
the Shackle part that attaches to the frame how much should that pivot when the Car is raised or lowered as of now with the car sitting on the ground the shackle is pointing down yeah I should take a picture of it and post it.
The shackle just needs to be free to move at both ends of the shackle....where it's attached to the frame, and the eye on the leaf spring.
If it binds it will not allow the car to settle under it's weight. Also, make sure the leaf spring can pivot free in the spring box where the front of the leaf spring pivots.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts