Firebird Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Pontiac Firebird
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this post should be in the First Gen section, but I am kinda straddling a line here - car vs engine. I found "400" stamped on the bottom of the block. On the front, passenger side just below the head, I found what looks like "?263453" (note: the first digit looks like it maybe a 6, or is a just booger in the casting) and underneath that is "YS" . At bottom of block (towards rear on driver side) is "GM-6 D N". The heads were swapped for Edelbrock Performer RPM so there are no ID numbers available on the head. I checked the ID numbers in the PPN and Wallace Racing database and found no YS 400 blocks that have an block casting number that starts with a 6 or a digit that is kind of round-looking. I threw in some picks of the car ID info along with the engine ID info.

Any help figuring out what is really under the hood of this little beastie is much appreciated.

PS I did look at the transmission pan and the shape matches the TH350 (has 13 bolts).
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grille

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Hood Azure Road surface Asphalt

Automotive tire Wood Grey Finger Wall

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive design Vehicle

I found "400" stamped on the bottom of the block. On the front, passenger side just below the head, I found what looks like "0263453" (note: 02 (maybe a "C" and not an "0", or is just booger in the casting) and underneath that is "YS" . At bottom of block (towards rear on driver side) is "GM-6 D N". The heads were swapped for Edelbrock Performer RPM so there are no ID numbers available on the head.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
1980 Pontiac Firebird
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your car is(was) a 301 non turbo Firebird. The number you posted is the last several of the VIN that your 400 belonged to. The casting number is toward the back of the block to the passenger side of the distributor kind of. Date code, near the distributor, may offer more info.

Thank you for the info. It'll be "fun" trying to see that number that is toward the back of the block. I will first try an inspection mirror and then maybe my borescope. Anything else I should look for while I am snooping around back there?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Not that I can think of. Here’s a photo of the back of my engine to help you locate those numbers. Yellow is the date code, red is the casting #. Just to give you a better idea where they are.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Engineering

·
Registered
1980 Pontiac Firebird
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh WOW, that is one beautiful engine. The car that it goes in must be pretty spectacular. Hey, thanks for circling the codes. I will go look at my friend's Firebird and bring my mirror and borescope with me. If those things don't do the trick, I'll take the hood off.

·
Registered
1980 Pontiac Firebird
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the encouragement!

With the engine in the car and the Edelbrock heads and intake, it made finding the casting number and the date code a real challenge. My way-cool borescope with mirror attachment died and I was left with a dental inspection mirror and my iphone. I had to lay across the top of the engine and grunt and bitch but I eventually I found the numbers. I was able to shove my iPhone down into some unspeakable places to grab pics of them. This is what I have been able to put together for this engine that is stuffed into this 1980 Firebird:

Engine Block codes:
“481988”
“K221” (Date Code= Nov 22, 1971 ?)
“400”
“02 63453 YS”
“GM-6 D.N” (additional code on bottom front of block) “6” (additional code on top rear of block)
If I am iterpreting this info correctly, I think the Wallace Racing database is showing that this engine block is 300HP.

Note: 3 freeze plugs on each side
Transmission: Turbo Hydramatic 350 (13 bolt pan cover)

The previous owner also added the following upgrades:
Edelbrock “Performer RPM” aluminum heads and intake manifold. Crane roller cams and rockers. Holley “Super EFI” 780 cfm carburetor. MSD ignition.

So...now my question is...is this engine configuration considered decent or desirable amongst Pontiac/Firebird enthusiasts? or is it a "yawn"? Thank you for any input/opinions!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts