Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i cant seem to find the name of the piece that holds the door hinges to the car..Let me explain..there are three bolts on each of the top and bottom door hinges (car side) not the door side..it looks like a plate with threaded holes in it on the inside of the fender..i was trying to adjust my doors and i broke two of the bolts on the top hinge..how do i remove this out of the car to get at the broken bolts..or can i buy new ones..what are they called.hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So to follow up on the above issue..i needed to drill out the broken studs in the plate..but you cant drill them with the fender on as they are behind the fender..and you need to remove the hood to take off the fender and in the process probably break off MORE bolts..( I dont know why but i break bolts all the time..so much so that car restoration really makes me angry ) ..but I degress......
Back to the issue at hand..
I took a hammer and a chisel and banged at the plate thru the small square holes until it started to bend inwards.next i removed the plastic cowl piece that gives you access to the wipers and stuck me hand in and reached over to the piller and bent back the CAGE..that holds the metal plate in place then removed the plate..Then I had to drill out the broken studs and retap the holes..
Then the fun part..DONT TRY THIS ALONE...you need two people for the next step..
Because the cage which holds the plate in place is now broke you need to hold it in place while someone starts the bolts into the hinge..doubt you have a REALLY long arm..I tried by myself and i dropped the plate..and the only way to get it is to remove the kickplate..which involves removal of e-brake..basically 2-3 more hours..friggin headace..but i got it in and door is on..Only issue with this is you can never remove the hinge without possibly dropping plate down into the pillar..
hope this helps anyone in attemping this job..
I could not find a solution to this anywhere online so i just went for it and it worked..

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,910 Posts
You might find it at FranksPontiacParts.com If it's not listed, give them a call as they don't list everything online.

If the plate isn't something "Pontiac" specific, you can look to somewhere that deals with 2nd Gen Camaro parts. Heck, fabricating it might even be around the same cost.

I'm King of Broken Bolts, but I must admit, I've let my Crown slip a bit over the last few years. I got lazy in my mid-40s and started buying the penetrating fluids. Letting nuts and bolts soak in PB Blast for a while, sometimes a day or two of multiple applications has not failed yet. On rare occasion, corrosion is so extreme the penetrating fluid alone isn't enough, so I use a propane torch (plumbers) and apply heat. That's a last resort, but it's always worked WITH penetrating fluid. I have broken bolts just using heat alone. If the threads of a bolt are accessible, I wire brush them too just to make it easier to remove once I do break it loose.

Lots of penetrants on the market, of the few I've used, PB Blast was the best. ...but I'm sure there are better. ...and more expensive. I always thought "chemicals are a gimmick", but, now I'm a believer so to speak. The frustration saved on one "average difficulty to remove" broken bolt alone buys several cans of PB Blast in my mind, and I haven't even factored in the broken drill-bits, bloody knuckles, or occasional broken tap.

If you're breaking bolts that you personally have serviced in the past and aren't really corroded, you may be over-tightening them. I most certainly was guilty of this for decades, and it always pissed me off that bolts that shouldn't have broken did. I invested in two cheap (but not super cheap) torque wrenches, one inch-pound scale and the other foot-pound scale, and began looking up and using torque specifications for the fasteners I was touching. No more snapping bolts I tightened a year or two ago...

None of that was accusatory if it came off that way. I've not only been there, I lived there for over 3 decades because nobody ever said "these things matter". I accepted it as the cost of doing business so to speak. I haven't forgotten the frustration, it still runs very deep, and even though I haven't had issue in quite some time now, I still fear every bolt I have to remove and really do have to psych myself up to do it, even with penetrant and torch in hand.

I know this wasn't possible in your recent situation, but sometimes you can just look at a nut or bolt and it instantly becomes clear; the only winning move is to exclaim f* it, break out the angle grinder, and go all medieval on it.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the reply..Franks doesnt sell this piece..I did phone them and was told nobody has ever requested one which is odd i think..( am I the only person to break bolts off in the hinge).. I doubt it but hey..Not supprised...But once i got the plate on the bench i let it soak in PB Blaster..then in vice with heat..NO dice..Then I bought a set of easy out bits..NO go..these bolts fused into the plate..so then I bought a tap and dye set..Once i was ready to start and needed to drill a small pilot hole the metal drill bit set I have wouldnt drill into the bolt..so I had to buy a Colbolt drill bit..
All said and done..i spent about 150 on tools..from the vice..( which i been needing anyways)..tap set..propane..easy out..drill bit..OH what fun..All I wanted to do was adjust the drivers door about 1cm towards front of the car as there is a bit of a gap..
Passenger door has a small gap as well...guess what...I AM LEAVING IT ALONE...LOL...
CHEERS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts